brace-face: reddie

creds to destindolann love ya bitchhh

richie's p.o.v:

i tightened my hold on my backpack straps, my head hung low as i slowly walked down the hallway. chatter and giggles from other high school students around me pounded against my eardrums, and i once again realized i'd forgotten to bring my walkman and headphones to school. i sighed quietly through my nose, keeping my eyes low, as i approached my locker.

" hey r-richie." bill said, his usual stutter notably less prominent. as we got older, his stutter seemed to deplete, and by the time we were freshmen in high school it only came out once a sentence or so. i didn't look up, jiggling the lock on my locker and popping it open. " richie?"

" don't, he's probably in one of his moods." stan said saltily, making me roll my eyes as i hung my backpack on one of my lockers metal hooks. i grabbed my english binder, knowing that class was next, and shut my locker again. i finally looked up then, scanning over my friends.

beverly marsh had her back resting against the locker beside me, and was focusing on blowing a rather large bubble with her peach chewing gum. ben was watching her, mesmerized by either the girl he was so fond of or maybe her sugary snack, probably both in all honestly. beside them stood stan the man uris, his eyes on his and bill's joint hands, and i almost smirked at how red his face became at the touch. mike was homeschooled, of course, so he was the only loser who wasn't present.

little eddie kaspbrak, who was only 5'1 at age 14, stood at the front of the group. closest to me. he beamed up at me, shooting me a small wave. i held back the soft smile i wished to give him bad, raising my hand awkwardly whilst still hugging my binder to my chest, and waving back.

" what's up rich? why so quiet all to a sudden?" beverly asked, making me realize her bubble had popped and she had returned to just chewing the sweet treat. i simply shrugged, returning my gaze down to the floor. i heard stan grumble something along the lines of how we should be savouring trashmouth tozier being quiet for once, but i barely heard him over the schools nearly deafening bell.

" aw shoot, i gotta split." beverly said, much to my relief as i didn't wish to be pressured anymore. " i've got morning detention, got caught smoking in the cafeteria again." she said, rolling her eyes as she dashed off. ben scurried away after her, probably desperate to learn like any goody two shoes would be. bill dragged stan off, both saying a quick goodbye, before disappearing amongst the sea of stressed students. leaving just me,

and eddie spaghetti.

" reddie for class chee?" eddie asked softly, linking arms with me as our hands were full with our books and binders. i nodded softly, starting to lead us through the boisterous crowd, since i was the bigger of the two of us. that was one of the many things i loved about eddie: how he didn't pressure me to talk when i didn't want to. we were just so, comfortable, with one another.

we finally made it to class, and headed inside.

***

lunch came around, after what felt like longer then usual. maybe it was because i didn't have the luxury of speech, so i had no giggles from eddie or eyerolls from stan after my long stories to entertain myself with. or maybe it was just a slow day, i couldn't have been certain.

i stuffed my thickass history binder back into my locker, shutting and locking it with a loud bang of metal hitting metal. i didn't grab a couple bucks to get something from the vending machine like usual as i didn't want to eat in front of my friends. in front of anyone for that matter.