Part 17: Can I Hide the Monster I've Become?

Monday morning school resumed again as usual. Summer break was upon us. Time for proms and graduations, summer school and the release of the students for three months of summer freedom. I looked forward to the time when I could be a full time torturess. All I could think about was Devon. All the mean things he'd done to me. All the hate he filled me with. My mother would say that I should not have allowed him to change me. But she was taken away from me by a man who didn't care about her. I would stand up for her too. Devon would pay for all the sins of the men before. All the men who had wronged a woman in some way, he would pay the price. I sat in my comfy office chair thinking of ways to inflict pain, be it mental or physical, when my cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Listen, Kelly, listen...have you watched the news yet today?" Wayne asked.

"No, why?"

"Apparently, Devon has family, and they're looking for him."

"What?" I asked incredulously.

"It's on the news. The worst part of it is, his father is the Mayor of Hillson. You came to the one place that he happens to have family and real connections."

I sighed the longest, hardest sigh trying not to cry. I felt like Devon had somehow cornered me again. If I had gone to the police, or even if Sheila had, they would have done nothing. It would have been a waste of time, again. His father being the mayor explained how he was able to get away with all the heinous things he did. His father was covering up for him. Now he's been missing a few days, they want to know where they're precious maniac is. I turned on the small tv that sat on the cabinet behind me. Channel 6 news was interviewing Mayor Dennis Jones. He was emphatically begging for any news on the whereabouts of his son, one Devon Jones. "He's been missing about a week now, he usually reaches out to me or his mother to check in. I know he's a grown man, but he has his issues. There is a $20,000 reward for anyone who can give us solid information on his whereabouts..." As he continued talking my mind wandered to who would want that money bad enough to talk; Sheila Greene. "Babe? You there?" I heard Wayne asking me. "Yes, I'm here." I answered. "I just can't believe he has anybody who gives a damn where he is, let alone his father is the fucking mayor." "Well, what are we gonna do?" I was quiet for a moment thinking about what we were gonna do.

"We stick to the plan." I said. "Remember, you were the one who said no punking out, remember?" I asked.

"I remember and I still stand by it. We finish this."

I had an assembly at 2:00 to address the staff and students about the upcoming summer events. I told them about summer school, the read-a-thon at the local Hillson Library, the new skate park opening, the tennis court finals, and some of the kid friendly movies opening. I reminded them about being safe, watching out for traffic and being kind to one another. I guess I can hide the monster I've become. I had a parent teacher conference at 2:45. Beth Owens parents were concerned about her grades and having to go to summer school. Beth was one of my better students up until about the last couple months. We met in my office with Nigel Miller, the guidance counselor. "I just don't understand." Mrs. Owens said. "Beth was doing well and then all of a sudden her grades started dropping. She doesn't like school anymore, doesn't socialize with friends. I just don't get it." she said. "She's never had to go to summer school before." her father commented. "I have had a few meetings with Beth and I left a couple messages on your voicemail at home as well." Mr. Miller told them. "She gets home before us, she probably erased them." "Do either of you have a cell phone?" "We both do, but I'm no good with this phone let alone voicemail." Mr. Owens said. "She told me you didn't." Mr. Miller answered looking disappointed. "I was calling to ask you if there have been any significant changes in Beth's life. She has changed, she used to be happy and outgoing. She cared about her grades. But then she dyed her hair black, started wearing joggers and t-shirts, a complete 360. She wasn't willing to talk to me about anything in particular, just kept saying she was fine." "I noticed, believe me, I noticed." Mrs. Owens said. "I get the same response." "Well, let's ask Beth what's going on, she's the best one to tell us." I said.