Cornered

"I wonder how Trucy is getting on?" May asked herself as she sat between Serena and Athena in the defence lobby. She knew that today was going to be a big day for everyone. May felt a bit sad that her best friend wasn't going to be there to see Iris be pointed at as the killer.

Naruto Uzumaki and Davis Motomiya had worked together to carry the painting Sakura was talking about into the defence lobby. As they dragged the painting into the room, May reminded herself that she had a lot of evidence in her records, including files for the deaths of Alain, Professor Sycamore, Drayden and Cilan. She was mortified at how big the victim tally was in this whole charade.

May began to suddenly crave coffee as she smelt the fumes coming from Athena's cup. "Starbucks..." May muttered as she gazed at the cup. Athena rolled her eyes over at her. May shrugged her shoulders away from Athena. "Sorry, it's just that I haven't had any coffee since I came out of hospital."

"Why don't we all go to Starbucks after the trial?" Athena suggested. "Me, you, Apollo and Trucy. Simon too, if he's up for it."

"That sounds great," May said with a smile on her face. "My life really hasn't been the same without coffee...DAMMIT!"

"What's wrong?" Serena asked.

"I forgot to call my parents last night," May snapped as she buried her head in her hands. "I promised Ash that I would."

"Ring them now," Athena suggested. "We've got time."

May flipped out her phone from her pocket and selected Norman's number. The phone beeped and Caroline had picked up the phone. Hearing her mother's voice through the phone was a wonderful feeling for her. "Hi Mom!" May cried out in glee. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine," Caroline responded. May could imagine Caroline's warm smile on the other side. "I hope you're not working too hard. You still need a rest after that heart attack."

"Of course not," May said. "I'm taking it easy. I've got a trail in a few minutes and I just wanted to check that you and Dad were alright."

"Your Dad is battling someone right now," Caroline announced. "He can't talk right now. But he's so happy that your new job is going so well. You've quickly turned into a professional. I'm sure you'll win today's trial for sure."

May smiled. "Thanks Mom, you and Dad are the best parents I could ever have asked for. I've got to get going now, the trial is about to start."

"Alright Sweetie," Caroline replied. Her soft words made May feel warm and fuzzy in her stomach. "Let me know how it goes. See you soon."

When May hung up, she was quick to see that Serena had her eyes on the floor. May stopped moving and halted Serena's steps. "What's the matter?" May asked. She knew that something wasn't right with her. She seemed fine a couple of moments ago, so May wondered if her call to Caroline had triggered something in her.

"I haven't seen my family since I was arrested," Serena admitted with strained vocals. She composed herself and looked on ahead as she made her way into the courtroom.

"Poor Serena," Athena said. "She's trying so hard to be strong."

May agreed with Athena, everything must have been too much for Serena. Serena doing her best not to breakdown in court was the reason May wanted to end this trial as quickly as possible. The addition of Kari and Drew as witnesses for the defence, May knew that there would be an additional witness.

"Lance is sure to show up," May told Athena. "It wouldn't surprise me if he testifies."

Athena had her eyes set on the prosecution. "Iris seems...really happy."