Chapter 1: Where It All Began

July 1997

"Madison, are you coming?" Heather asked. "Yeah hold on a minute" Madison said sliding her sweatshirt over her t-shirt and shorts. They piled into Heather's car and made their way out to their friend Kasey's farm where they were having their annual Bonfire. "Are you nervous about seeing Kasey?" Heather asked Madison. "Why would I be nervous?" she asked. "Because I know you like him as more than a friend now" she said giving her a smirk. "Oh shut up" Madison said looking out the window. Heather turned down the dimly lit driveway, down to the river and parked her car. "Hey Heather and Maddie are here" Kale called out. Madison and Heather got out of the car and made their way to where their group of friends stood around the fire. "What's going on guys?" Kale asked. "Nothing much just getting ready for school to start again" Heather said. "What about you Maddie, anything new and exciting?" "No, just working at Starbucks" Madison said. She looked across the fire where he stood. The bleached blonde blue eyed boy she had been in love with for years. Their eyes met and he took a sip of his beer. "So Kasey, you're almost done right?" Willie asked. "Yeah only a year left and then off to Indiana" Kasey said. Madison looked at Heather and then back at Kasey. "I didn't know you were leaving that soon Kase" Heather said. "Yeah I have an opportunity out there to run the cars I do here, so I'm taking it." Madison grabbed a wine cooler and downed it. "Whoa girl slow down" Willie said. She glanced at Kasey who looked at her, but turned away. "I'm gonna take a walk, I'll be right back" Madison said.

She walked away from the group and sat down beside the river bank and watched the moon reflect off the water. Tears began to form in her eyes knowing Kasey would never know how she truly felt about him and if he left, he'd forget all about her. "Maddie?" she heard a voice say from behind her. She wiped the tears from her eyes and turned around to see Kasey coming to sit down next to her. "I know you're upset I'm leaving" he said. "Well you've been one of my best friends for years Kase, how was I supposed to react?" Madison said. "I know and maybe I should have told you when we were alone." "It still would have hurt just as worse" Madison said pulling her knees to her chest. "Madison?" he whispered. "What?" she asked. "I have something I need to tell you" he said. "Haven't you said enough tonight Kase?" she asked. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and brought her closer to him. "Madison I love you" he whispered. She turned and met his face and was taken aback. "You do?" "Yes for a while now and it killed me to see you cry." Madison was in shock. She finally was able to muster out the words she had wanted to say for years. "I love you too Kase". They sat in silence for a while looking out over the river. "We'd better get back" Madison said getting to her feet. Kasey got up behind her. "I'll race you" she said. Madison took off running and Kasey followed suit and caught her by the waist. She turned to him laughing. He brushed the hair out of her face and his hand graced her face. Kasey smiled at her and leaned into kiss her lips. Madison wrapped her arms around him as he deepened the kiss. He pulled back and looked at her. "I've wanted to do that for a long time. Let me take you home" he said. Madison smiled at him an agreed. Kasey and Madison walked back over to the group while the fire burned down to embers and the beer was running low. "I'd better get home before my parents call the police again" Heather said. "Are you coming Madison?" she asked. "I'm taking her home" Kasey said. Heather looked at Willie and they smirked at each other. She pulled Madison's arm back and smiled. Madison gave her the "I'll tell you later look" and she hopped into the front of Kasey's truck. Kasey flew down the road like he always did and Madison let the wind blow through her hair. Kasey pulled onto her road. He looked over at her smiling back at him as her dirty blonde hair blew in her face and he didn't want to take her home. "Want to take a drive instead?" he asked. "Sure" she said. 

Kasey drove through Enumclaw and past the town where they hung out after dances and stuff in High School. He pulled onto the old abandoned farm on the outskirts of town and parked his truck deep in the dried corn rows that stood there now. Kasey turned the truck off and went around back to the bed. Madison got out and joined him and they sat with their backs to the cab. "It's beautiful this time of year" she said staring up at the stars. "Yeah I'm going to miss it here" Kasey said. Kasey looked at her looking at the stars and in that moment knew. She looked at him and he edged closer to her. He looked into her eyes and brought her lips to his. His hand graced the side of her face as he kissed her. Madison had wanted this for a long time and then he leaned into kiss her again and she pushed her lips harder into his and pulled him on top of her. "I don't have anything" he breathed. "It's ok" she said pulling his shirt over his head and tossing it beside them. He removed her sweatshirt and put it under her head. He pulled her shirt over her head and put it with his. She wiggled out of her shorts and he got out his. "Are you sure?" he asked. "Yes" she breathed. He pushed himself inside and began to move. Madison let out a sound as tears began to form in her eyes. "Did I hurt you?" "It's ok keep going." Kasey moved slowly, kissing Madison every chance he got. Madison was lost in the moment with Kasey as she felt her innocence disappear to the boy she had been in love with forever. She felt herself getting close as well as Kasey. She ran her hands up and down his back as he poured inside her. He lay on her chest and kissed her gently on the lips once more. Madison pulled her shirt back on and wiggled on her shorts. Kasey yanked his t-shirt over his head and pulled his shorts back on. "I don't want this night to end" she said. "I know" he said bringing her to him and leaning against the cab of the truck. "Did you ever think we would be here like this?" Madison asked him. "I've wanted it to be this way for a while, but I never knew when the moment was going to be right. I'm glad you were "the one" he said. "Wait, I thought you weren't a virgin" she said. "Guess we have secrets we keep to ourselves" he said smiling at her. Kasey drove her back to her house and parked. "Thank you for tonight" she said. "You're welcome" he said. She went to get out of the truck and he tugged on her arm. "I love you Maddie." "I love you Kase."

A year flew by before they knew it and Kasey and Maddie spent as much time together as they could. Before they knew it July was back again and Kasey was headed to Indiana.

Madison stood in the driveway as she watched the boys pack up the trailer. "I think that's everything" Kale said latching the trailer door. "Well I guess this is it" Tammy said. "You boys better be careful" Kelly said. "We will dad" Kasey said. Willie and Shannon piled into the truck while Kasey went over to Madison. "I can't believe it went by so fast" she said. "I know, but I promise I'll keep in touch as best as I can" he said kissing her. "I love you Maddie and you have a piece of me no one will ever have" he said. "And same with you Kase and I love you" she said. He got into the passenger side of the truck and she watched him drive away.