Chapter 10

Snowdust's Perspective

I stood outside the abandoned shack, viewing my environment. Patiently waiting for my friends to get ready, I gazed at a deer. It searched around for any plant that is evergreen. The deer came to a halt once it faced my boots. Its gaze met mine. The deer neared itself to me, licking my boot. "Oh, hi," I awkwardly stepped backwards. The deer stopped licking and looked at me in the eyes.

I quickly looked back to see the door opening. Gerald's hand gripped his bag's straps. He put on a baffled expression before he noticed a deer eerily staring at me. "Umm. I was wondering if you know anything about this," He opened his bag and his hand scanned for an object to find. Finally, he pulled his hand out to reveal what he was grabbing on. A blade?

The deer made a noise. The appearance of the blade seemed to have frightened it. I furrowed my eyebrows and put on a curious stare on the blade. I stepped toward Gerald to examine the blade he was holding in his hand. It had runes carved on it. "Do you know anyone who can understand this knife? Especially the symbols written on the blade." He pointed at the runes carved on it.

"Our kingdom does have a wizard of some sort. A doctor who practiced magic. His name is Doctor Leandro Swine, maybe he knows these things. He even wrote a book about the stars that bring blessings, or a curse," I answered.

I turned around and looked back at the deer then knelt down. I raised my hand to try and comfort the frightened deer. Placing my hand on its coat, it slightly flinched from my gentle touch. Its eyes looked at me one more time before snuggling itself on me. "That deer is cute. Could we keep it?" Gerald asked.

"Well, we could." I said as I caressed the deer's coat. My eyes studied the deer's features. "It's a girl," I informed Gerald while smiling at the deer. She began to steady her breathing before her frightened self had faded away. I remembered what had happened last time. I stood up to my feet and frowned.

"What's wrong?" Gerald asked, pulling me closer to him.

"I just recalled all the blood involving animals. A robed figure had to smear blood on stones, write symbols using a deer's blood. That blood glowed and revealed a cave opening. As for me, I had to take a life and use his blood," I closed my eyes and sighed. "I'm a monster."

"Hey, you're not a monster. You'd have to take life sometimes and that would soon involve Luxverre and Benjamin," He comforted me. Gerald wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in for a tight hug.

"Thanks," I replied. After pulling away, our friends made their way out of the shack. "Thank God, you guys are finally done. I've been waiting here for three minutes."

Carson giggled, "Something had to be done inside." He shot a smile at Celestia who was looking away from him, her face heating up. "So, where to?"

"We're heading back to the kingdom to get a rest. Gerald and I will try to look for Doctor Leandro to extract information. Maybe after four days, we'll venture out in the woods and break in Luxverre's kingdom," I said.

All of them nodded and followed me as we made our way back to the wolf den. The deer cheerfully followed, I smiled.

AT THE WOLF DEN. My friends and I had returned to the wolf den. A crowd of citizens and wolves waited near the gate, staring down at us. There were sounds of gossips and whispering everywhere, I was confused. I looked at a citizen and she quickly backed off and hid herself. "What is happening?" Gerald asked.

"I don't know but it seems suspicious," I answered.

We had to force our way through the crowd even with our bodies getting slammed to each other. I was determined until I reached a big space and realized that my feet were touching the red carpet. "What is going on?"