Chapter 14

Snowdust's Perspective

My arms were crossed as I leaned against the wall. Benjamin Caldwell was just influenced by his father. Though, there is a possibility for him to change, I sort of doubt that. I recalled what the robed woman had said earlier, Your parents gave you the opportunity to prove your worth.

How do I prove my worth now?

My mind had been attacked by thoughts and ideas lately. I tried to brush them off but they always come back to cloud up in my head.

Do I kill him right away? Is there supposed to be a timing?

One wrong move will be the major factor of everyone's fate in the future. One decision will cost a life, one decision will take a soul for a soul. One decision wends through negativity but in the end, positivity reigns all over.

The question now is, which type of decision should I go through?

Pressured with responsibility and a whole kingdom relying upon you with a little help from the army, it's hard to be the worthy one. My eyes shut while I filter my thoughts. In attempt of organizing them, a creaking sound made its way to interrupt. I quickly opened my eyes to gaze at Stella, who just walked in.

"Hey, what you got there?" I greeted as my eyes noticed an object hidden behind her back.

"Oh, this?" She revealed the object, it was a music box. "Remember when mom and dad used to play this at night when we were younger?"

"Yes, Yes I do." Both my arms unfolded and straightened themselves on the sides. My feet began stepping towards her until I was close enough to hold the music box in my hands. I studied it. It felt like it had been a thousand years ago since this was last played to us. Now, we're growing.

Thinking of our history with this music box, my thoughts about Benjamin Caldwell had receded from my head. I stretched my hand out to Stella, she smiled and delicately held it. We exited the throne room. Then, I brought her to our parents' room.

It was empty. Bleak. Devoid of lovely voices that usually brim this very location.

I gazed at the mini table next to the bed. Stella slowly let go of my hand and stared at the music box. I reluctantly placed the object on top of the table and sighed. "Will you do the honors?" I asked Stella, her eyes remained staring at the music box. Her eyes could say it. She reminisced blissful moments that involved this simple object.

Stella neared herself to the music box and held her hand up then she rotated the crank. After the last winding, her grasp let go of the crank and allowed it to play the music. Its soothing melody had a pattern that Stella and I memorized. The music sank in and we recalled moments, and those moments can't be brought back anymore.

I rested my backside on the mattress. Stella's gaze searched for mine, then our eyes met. She silently sat beside me with a straightened back. She closed her eyes and slightly tilted her head. Heaving a sigh, she slouched and trained her eyes at the music box, still playing its music.

I hummed.

In my peripheral vision, Stella's eyes gazed at the ground. One tear streamed down her face. I continued humming to the music. A teardrop plummeted to the ground. More tears escaped her lovely eyes. I still hummed. I soon realized that my eyes welled up in tears. I allowed those melancholic tears to make their way out and slide down my cheeks.

"They sacrificed. I want to make sure that it's worth it. If it wasn't for them, I'd be dead," I spoke in a low voice, a tone now revealed how much sadness had overflowed within me.

"Whatever you are doing now, they'd be proud," She held my hand.

I briefly smiled, taking in her words before my smile faded away. The tune came to a halt. I wrapped my arm around Stella's shoulders and pulled her to me, allowing the side of her head to lean on my shoulder.