Chapter Thirteen: The Statue of Era

I didn't know what this mark on my arm was supposed to mean. It was just a picture of the moon. "This doesn't look good. This just doesn't look at-", I told myself. But then I hear Joey's voice, and gasped. I didn't have time to put away my arm nor close my shirt, so I was screwed. "Hey, there you are- Oh!", Joey said as he came in. Except he looked away because he saw that my shirt was unbuttoned, and that my black bra was now exposed. "Joey! I-I'm sorry!", I said while blushing. "Don't worry, it's my fault for coming in too late. Hehe...", he said as I closed up my shirt. Luckily he didn't see the mark. "Sorry about that. I was just.. Getting some air. It's hot a bit in this shirt.", I lied to him again. I couldn't believe that I was doing this again. First it was the dream. Now it's the weird tattoo on my arm. Is there going to be a time where I don't lie to him? "It's fine. Come on, we have to check out what this next clue might be.", he said as we both left the arcade to head back to the lounge. Once we got there, the team was discussing about how we need to hurry up and solve this mission before the sun comes up. "Well, I'm noticing that the box actually has the same symbols on it that were on your briefcase.", Matt said to Joey. I checked the box and saw what he meant. "So that symbol is-", I said until Joey finished my sentence for me. "It's the Social Against Evil symbol. They fight against all evil. I've been with them before.", he says. "And so they're the ones who are out to help this town?", Matt asked Joey. Teala even asked if that group is on our side, but all Joey told us was that they failed trying to save the town and that's why we're all here. This left everyone to confusion. Basically, no one was buying what he meant.

My Confession: Failed to save the town? And that's why we're here? Joey, what are you talking about?

I thought that he was just going insane, but everyone else didn't understand him. With this now going on for me to think about, Teala grabs the map and we all see where we're heading next. The map makes the next spot appear, and it's called Shag's Motel. Colleen then spots the reading on the map and reads it.

The Man with No Name was hunted because the town thought he was a freak of nature. He sure showed them.

As she finished reading, we all hear a crash outside. We all get up to see what was it, and I immediately scream. Because when we all got outside, there was a body. Even though it looked scary, we didn't have time to look at it. Joey ripped open the plastic and Manny gets the book inside. After that, we all go back inside; leaving the body to itself. Once we got back inside, I took the book from Manny and read it out loud.

I'm getting close to finding the Statue of Era. His power is both terrifying and intoxicating. Many have died seeking to obtain it. After gathering their obituaries, I discovered that their deaths have been secretly chronicled in Adventures of Allan Quatermain. There's something about placing the volumes in their proper order that will reveal the statue. The painting holds the key.

My Confession: Something tells me that this journal can lead us to the third artifact. It said something about a statue and how it can kill anyone who touches it. So that must be it.

Once I finished reading, Joey tells us all that we need to find six books. As we all went searching, Ro said that she found one with the same author's name. I search through some books and see the picture of the painting that we're looking for as well. "There's the painting. I'm guessing that we need to put the books in the right order next to it.", I told everyone while continuing to search. So far we've found four books, and then two more. Right now, we had the total of six books. Joey looks back in the journal and tells us that we need to place the books in order with the book holder next to the painting. He then checks the journal again and finds a secret pocket inside. And inside, were the obituaries.

1. Sarah G. was eaten alive by flesh-eating beetles.
2. This guy was crucified by the Black Order Cult.
3. Danielle impaled by a Trident.

My Confession: So basically we're all putting the books in the order of how all of these people died. So far we've gotten four. But Safiya steps up to put the last two in, and the row is finally complete.

Once all six books were in order, we all jump to hear something from the wall. It was a secret door that came down to show us all a dark room with the statue inside. "That looks demonic!", Nikita pointed out. I could tell that some of my friends were scared to go in, so I went in myself. "Be careful, Genesis.", Joey reminded me. As I make it inside the dark room, I see the statue with a note on it.

The Statue of Era infects all who touch it. To purify the crusted idol, five ancient stones must be placed at its feet. To find the stones, you must assemble two hunting parties by drawing straws from the box. The two with the short straws will be the party leaders. Starting with the youngest leader, they will take turns picking their team. The group to recover the stones will be safe from the final challenge. However, The Man with No Name protects his gems, and his touch removes you from the hunt for five minutes. Your only sanctuary is under a red light.

After reading the note to everyone, I get out of the dark room and see Manny and Teala drawing straws. I'm guessing that Teala was the youngest, and Manny was the oldest. After they choose straws, they start picking their teams.

Team One: Manny, Nikita, Joey, and Colleen.
Team Two: Teala, Matt, Ro, and Safiya.

So far each group had four on each team, but I was the only one left. It was up to me to see who I wanted to be with. "Okay Genesis, choose who you want to be with.", Teala told me. I then looked the groups and thought for a second.

My Confession: I honestly didn't know who to choose. I love all of my friends, but I hate choosing over them. But being like the friend I am to Joey, I chose to be in Manny's group.

As I walked to Manny's group, he gave me a hug. This got Teala's group to look at me all disappointed. I told myself that I wasn't going to pick favorites or anything. It was my decision, not anyone else's.