CHAPTER 1: THE DILEMMA OF DREAMS (Part 2) | Eunice Wong

The rows of neat, clean blue seats had a calming effect on me as I strode into the plane cabin. Without wasting time, I headed towards my allocated seat printed on the boarding pass. It was in the middle row, which had four adjoining seats. My seat was on the right, by the aisle where everyone passed on the way to their seats. The atmosphere seemed crowded for a while as people busily located their seats and stored their bags in the designated compartments.

I placed my shoulder bag beneath the seat in front and took my place, but first placing the provided small pillow, blanket and headphones to the side so that I could seat myself comfortably. Even so, I was only comfortable for a short while.

When the plane started lumbering towards the runway, I began to fret again. This was the first time that I was taking a flight in my entire life. It was the scariest moment of my life. Did I really have acrophobia or was I simply afraid of heights?

I hugged myself while waiting for the plane to take off. Every second's delay ripped out a part of my soul. When I heard the sound of engines increasing and the power propelling the plane forward at an ever-increasing speed, I closed my eyes and held my breath. Only after I felt the plane had actually lifted off did I breathe easy. Phew!

When I opened my eyes, I noticed the personal screen on the seat in front of me showing live transmission from the cameras affixed to the plane's nose and tail. Information related to the flight was indicated on-screen, including statistics such as altitude, weather, temperature and time. Buildings became increasingly smaller, as were the vehicles moving along the roads. The plane continued soaring higher in the sky. I could feel my stomach contents burbling then erupting like volcanic lava. I barely managed to reach for the complimentary sick bag before the entire contents of my stomach were expelled.

"Miss, are you all right?" The flight stewardess approached me. Before I could reply, I threw up again.