CHAPTER 7: THE HAPPINESS OF A FAMILY (Part 4) | Siti Nuraini

Thirty years earlier, I had left Malaysia with two little children. If it had not been due to desperation I would not have done so. However, I felt I had no choice. My husband wanted to divorce me. He had contested for custody of the children. I did not agree. I could not afford to lose them.

The night before Hari Raya that year, I took drastic action. After my mother-in-law and my husband had gone to sleep, I ran away, taking along my children. I carried the two-year-old on my back, while hugging the one who had just turned six months against my chest. I did not pack any clothes and had no luggage. I left just like that.

At the main road, I flagged down a taxi. I had long prepared and concealed the necessary amount of money in my brassiere. I had calculated that the amount of money was sufficient for the three of us to leave the place. So, I proceeded to ask the taxi driver to send us to the airport.

At the airport, I immediately bought tickets that would facilitate our earliest departure. I had just barely enough money to afford the tickets that brought the three of us to London.

During our first week in London, we stayed at a mosque while I searched for a job and accommodation. I was fortunate to meet with the kindly Mak Peh when we were at the mosque. After listening to my story, she graciously invited us to stay with her. According to Mak Peh, her child had married and moved out. As a result, she had an empty room at home. She welcomed us to stay at her home until I could afford my own accommodation.

Mak Peh also recommended work for me. She helped to take care of the children while I went out to work. In the mornings, I helped the vegetable seller at the market; in the afternoons, I washed plates at a nearby restaurant. When night came, I sewed and patched clothes for neighbours on the housing estate. Eventually, I was able to support my family.

Initially, I had wanted to rent a place elsewhere, but Mak Peh would not hear of it. Instead of paying rent to someone else, it would be better to pay rent to her, she reasoned. Furthermore, she said, it was lonely living there on her own. It would be better for her to take care of my children while I went out to work. She would then also feel less bored at home. I accepted her offer.

About ten years later, I met Rashid. We were meant to be husband and wife. He did not mind about my past and readily accepted my children as if they were his own. We got married and built a new family together.

My husband was amazed at the food that I prepared every day. He licked the plate clean and complimented me every time after dinner. I was happy with him. One day, he came home with a mischievous smile on his face.

"Dear, I've bought you something. Try and guess what it is," he teased as he held my shoulders from behind. I was in the middle of the washing-up.

"Flowers? Chocolates? Perfume?" I tried to guess. He shook his head. He turned off the tap and turned me around to face him. He then dropped a bunch of keys into my still soapy hands.

"Your favourite café in Portobello. The owner wanted to emigrate. I have already bought it. Since you love cooking, I want you to open your own café. What do you say, love?" he suggested nonchalantly. I was stunned after hearing those words from him.

That was how Makan Café came about. A gift from my husband that motivated me to share home-made dishes with the Portobello community that knew little about authentic Malaysian cuisine.

It had not been easy. Many had never seen a cekodok or samosa, or even a curry puff. It was all so foreign to Portobello residents. Still, I did not give up. I stood outside in hot or cold weather to distribute free samples to people who walked past our café. I invited those who worked at the nearby stalls to try our tomyam soup and curry laksa for free. Eventually, more and more people developed a taste for Malaysian cooking.

Makan Café became more popular and began to attract people living outside Portobello. I bought the unit beside it and had it renovated so that we could hold more customers, especially during lunch and weekends. And that was how it all happened!