CHAPTER 6: PURSUING MY DEAR ONE (Part 2) | Datuk Wong Hong Seng

There were no other passengers in the first-class from Kuala Lumpur to London on the Malaysia Airlines flight. This was not unusual. Normally there would be only two or three passengers consisting of those who could afford the price, had high status and needed privacy. Some brought their personal bodyguards along. Usually, only royalty or those of equivalent status would do that. I was just an entrepreneur, so I did not need a personal bodyguard. I would usually bring Johan along going abroad on business. However this time, it was personal. I decided to travel alone.

Thank goodness I was the only first-class passenger on this flight. I specifically chose first-class even though the cost of the ticket was three times higher than business-class. I needed it. Privacy. Space to be alone. Space to organize my thoughts that had become increasingly muddled and emotions that were mixed up as a result of Eunice's actions.

Johan had found fragments of a receipt under the driver's seat of Eunice's car. He had pieced them together and after further analysis, Johan discovered that Eunice had bought several airline tickets to overseas destinations. All these flights were leaving on the same day, but to different destinations: Australia, the United States, Europe and London. A few phone calls later, Johan managed to confirm that Eunice had boarded the Emirates flight to Dubai and subsequently to London.

My little one was in London. My eyes widened in shock when I heard the news. It was hard for me to believe that she had finally set foot in an aircraft. She had always made the point that she was afraid of heights. She was adamant she would never board an airplane or helicopter, let alone be a pilot. Had she changed her mind?

I still could not believe that Eunice would flee from me just like that. She had already lost her mother; could she push me out of her life too? Was I no longer important to her? I could have sent Johan to bring her home, but her drastic actions had taken over my mind completely. My daughter was prepared to hurt my feelings; her father's feelings. What had happened?

I pushed aside the white blanket hugging my body and adjusted my seat upright. I then stretched my arms and legs that were sufficiently rested as I had been lying down since after take-off. When fully reclined, the seats were completely horizontal, turning into a bed. If my mind had not been beset by so many worries, I would surely have dozed off into the land of sweet dreams. Next, I got up and walked towards the restroom.

"I don't understand. You're a rich man's kid. You only need to ask for something and you'll get it. So why would you want a job like this?" I heard the voice of a man as I walked past the galley on the way to the restroom. He spoke softly, but because of the peaceful atmosphere, I could hear their conversation.

"This was my ambition," a woman replied simply. Upon hearing the word "ambition", I stopped in my tracks behind the curtains that separated the galley from the aisle where I stood. I did not really want to eavesdrop, but my ears stubbornly persisted.

"Your ambition? Your father offered you the position of General Manager, but you refused, wanting to be a flight attendant. Hardly a prestigious job! Is there something wrong with that brain of yours?" The man's voice was full of sarcasm. The woman's response was simply relaxed laughter.

"That's his dream. This is my dream. My parents have no problem with my choice. As long as I am happy and make a living legally, they have nothing against what I do," the woman explained.

I was startled to hear her explanation. I thought about Eunice and her dream to be a pilot. Why was I so enthusiastic about helping her realize her dream when she seemed so blasé about it?