CHAPTER 6: PURSUING MY DEAR ONE (Part 3) | Datuk Wong Hong Seng

"I want to set up my own café and introduce mum's recipes to the world. That's my dream." I heard Eunice's words over and over again in my mind, like a needle stuck in a record. I did not understand. When had her ambition changed to opening her own café?

As far as I knew, Eunice had been interested in airplanes ever since she was a little girl. I recalled seeing her gaze with much interest at the model aircraft collection that had been neatly arranged in a little corner in the living room. It was my personal collection. I started collecting them when I was a teenager. I still remembered how I would save every penny to buy every model aircraft issued by airlines worldwide. I had managed to obtain every model issued. My collection was complete.

When Eunice started to speak at two, her first request was to touch the model aircraft in my collection. I did not let her. I merely lifted her up to look from a safe distance where her little hands could not reach the models. When Eunice was five, she asked again.

"Dad, for my birthday, I don't want any presents. I only want to touch your model aircraft. Is that all right?" my sweet child asked. My heart simply melted.

I opened the glass display cabinet and took out my favourite model aircraft. I squatted down to Eunice's level and handed her the model very carefully. Her little hands stroked the model with much interest. I was surprised to see her take such interest in the model.

"I really like it, dad. This plane is beautiful. It looks just like those I see in the sky," she said, amazed. I smiled as I heard those words from her lips.

"One day I'll take you on an airplane. Would you like that?" I asked her. If my wife had never objected, I would have flown with the whole family across the world a long time ago. But my wife thought Eunice was too young for that.

"Can I fly a plane?" Eunice was quick to respond. She must have got the idea from hearing stories about her uncle who was a pilot. I did not object. I was grateful that my child shared a common interest with me: a love of airplanes.

"Of course, but you've got to learn first. When you're grown up, you can be a pilot," I answered. Eunice nodded. A wide smile beamed across her face. I was heartened to discover her ambition. To be a pilot. My child would surely be a great pilot.

Ever since then, I had often mentioned about airplanes to her. I cultivated the interest in flying in her. I shared many stories and facts with her. Eunice would always listen intently. After a while, she also had a model aircraft collection of her own. Every year, I would present her with a model aircraft as her birthday gift. She looked after them very carefully and valued them.

On the day she disappeared, I went into her room and saw her collection was no longer on top of their special rack. Every one of them had been put away in a box beneath her bed. I had no idea what had happened. I was not sure when Eunice changed, but my daughter was no longer interested in airplanes.

Opening a café. That was her new dream. Perhaps it was her way of honouring the memory of her mother who loved cooking and whom she missed. I was sure it was all just a passing phase. Or at least I hoped so. I could not imagine my daughter holding a wok as her livelihood for the rest of her life. Her future should be much brighter than that. I was convinced that she would be a great pilot.