CHAPTER 6: PURSUING MY DEAR ONE (Part 7) | Datuk Wong Hong Seng

"Dad, I really want to open my own café. It's my dream," Eunice confided as we sat in a black London cab on the way back to the Holiday Villa at Leinster Gardens.

"Are you sure you want that?" I asked sincerely. She nodded. At that moment, I realised that the dream of becoming a pilot was not hers, but a long, repressed one of mine. It was one of the dreams I could never realize because I was colour-blind. Perhaps that was why I held on to the words of a five-year-old who wanted to be a pilot. I was just trying to live my unachieved ambition through her. It was not her dream. It was my mistake.

"I'd like to invest in your café, Eunice. However, there is one condition. You must open it in Malaysia, not here," I made the proposal to her. Eunice was silent and bit her nails thinking over the offer. I knew she was independent. If it were possible, she would not depend on me, but I still wanted to help. She was my only child. If I did not help her, who would?

"But..."

I cut her short.

"You are the only family I have now. I just want you to always be near me. Is that too much to ask?" I pretended to be upset. But it was true that I could not bear to be far from my little one. She was all I had since the passing of my wife. I did not want to live alone.

Eunice reached for my hand and held it tightly. A mischievous smile was carved on her face. "But I am afraid of getting on a plane again. Air-sickness. So, what shall we do, dad?"