CHAPTER 2: A FAMILY NURTURED WITH LOVE (Part 4) | Athirah Mansor

"My poor child. You look so thin," my mother had lamented as she stroked my cheek when we met last month. We were at Tukdin's restaurant along Craven Road for dinner. Tukdin was my father's long-time friend from Malaysia. His establishment served a diverse assortment of dishes capable of curing homesickness and satisfying the desire for home-style food of any Malaysian residing in London.

"That's the result of flying here, there and everywhere. Jetlag coupled with irregular meals will take a toll on your health, Athirah," added my father, sitting across the table from me.

"It's got nothing to do with it, dad. I just miss Tukdin's nasi lemak," I declared cheekily with a wink. My father allowed himself to laugh. My mother also laughed upon hearing my quip.

Tukdin's place was my family's favourite restaurant. Nasi lemak, curry laksa, mi goreng mamak, keropok lekor, curry puffs – all the Malaysian food that we fancied while in London were on the menu. I resided in Kuala Lumpur due to the contractual job agreement with Malaysia Airlines and so was able to enjoy delicious Malaysian food at any time. However, my parents, who have resided in London since my grandfather's passing, had to make a trip to Tukdin's establishment whenever they felt like food from home.

The teh tarik served was enjoyed with great satisfaction, as I saw written all over my father's face. Teh tarik was indeed his favourite beverage. He sipped it slowly, savouring it thoroughly, before placing the cup back on the saucer.

"Athirah, how much longer do I have to wait?" he asked me outright. His eyes looked directly into mine. We were waiting for our meal to be served.

"The ayam masak merah should be here pretty soon," I bantered, pretending not to understand his intent. My father looked furious, totally disgruntled by my reply.

"I'm already old. I cannot depend on anyone else. Oxford Street needs you," my father continued. My mother nodded in agreement. I gave a long deep sigh.