Chapter 75: Mom Talk

Melissa's POV

I haven't seen my mom in awhile, so it's understandable that she would want to talk with me.

I just hope that she's not going to give me one of her famous lectures.

I climb up the stairs slowly. Taking deep breaths every few steps.

I reach the guest bedroom door, knocking lightly.
My mom answers, "yes, come in Melissa."
I twist the door knob and head into the room.
"Honey, sit down," my mom says, patting the bed sheets next to her.

I pass by my dad who is putting clothes away on the closet, then I sit next to her.
"Melissa," she says.
"Mom," I almost groan. "I really don't want to hear about a lesson or one of your long speeches."

She tilts her head slightly and gives me a "I really don't care what you want" look.
"Well, you need to hear what I have to say, so listen," she tells me. "Christopher said in the car that the two of you have only known each other for five years. Yet, you live together, have a three year old d—"
"Willow is two," I interrupt her.
"Two year old daughter and expecting another child and you're not even engaged at the least." She picks up my hand and points to my empty ring finger.
"And your point is?" I ask.
"My point is, you have a life, honey, yet you decided to settle down with a decent man and start a family."
"Mom. I'm thirty-three," I remind her.
"Well, I don't see why that's a reason to not a have a life."
"It's not your choice," I say. "Or life."

"I'm telling you—" she starts.
"What is your problem?" I ask, cutting her off. "What is so wrong about my life that you had to call me up here to criticize me about?"
She thinks for a second. "I don't have a problem."
"Yes, I see it in your eyes. Tell me."

"I wouldn't mind at all if you were married, Melissa. If you were married I would have come much sooner, but I was waiting for you to text me about your engagement or a wedding invitation and it never happened. I just decided that we should just come and visit and see with our own eyes why the two of you have yet to be married."
"And now you're here," I say. "So?"
"So," she says. "I think you two need to sort it out instead of having children."
"Mom," I sigh.
"Don't. Just do it."

I head back down stairs as Willow is running up the.

"Careful, Willow," I warn.
"Okay, mamma!" she calls back to me.

When I step into the kitchen, Chris immediately asks, "what did she say?"
"I—I don't want to talk about it right this instant," I tell him as I sit down on a stool.
"Hey," he says as he moves towards me. "It's alright. Take the time you need. I'll be right here."
"Thank you," I say. "I love you."
"I love you, too."