Chapter 57: A New Addition

Melissa's POV

The store is surprisingly empty for Los Angeles at eleven at night.

I make it to the aisle with the pregnancy tests and choose a few that I know will work well.

When I walk up to pay, I pull my sweater down a little so I don't get recognized. Just in case.

I quickly get in the car and let myself relax a little. I silently hope that no one saw me then I drove off, heading back to the apartment.

By the time I get back, it's almost eleven thirty. I don't even take my sweater off. I slip into the first bathroom on my right, take a deep breath and then I take the test.

I stand with my back against the door, my hand over the part that says if it's positive or negative. My phone vibrates, signalling that the five minutes are up.

"It'll be fine either way," I tell myself.

Slowly, I remove my hand from the middle and glance down to see.

It reads positive.

I slide down against the door and hit the floor. My hand reaches my mouth to cover it from any sounds I might make in the next few seconds. Happy tears run down my cheeks. I wipe them with my sleeves because I'm too full of emotions to get up to get myself a tissue.

Next, disbelief hits me like a wave. I look down again. It's definitely positive.

I stand anyway to take another one from a different brand just in case.

Again, it reads positive just like the last one. After a couple more minutes of crying, I make it back to my original spot on the couch.

Willow is going to be a big sister. Chris will be a sad to two now. And I'll have to give birth again. Which isn't bad if I get to have another light in my life.

I end up sleeping on the couch because by the time I finally calm down, it's almost two in the morning.

—the next morning—

"Hey. Why didn't you come to bed last night?" Chris asks me.

I'm making breakfast in the kitchen and he woke up.

"It was late. I didn't want to wake you. Is Willow up yet?"
"No, I don't think so. It is only seven."
"True." I force a little laugh.

"Hey," he says again, wrapping his arm around me, kissing my neck lightly. "What's up with you?"
"Nothing," I say.

When I told him I was pregnant with Willow, he was in a hospital in another country. This time has to be special.

"Okay, if you're sure," he says, then grabs a clean strawberry out of a bowl on the counter.

Chris's POV

Something is up with Melissa. I can tell. She never laughs like that.

I sit down on the couch in the next room over from the kitchen and turn on the TV.

A couple minutes later, Melissa brings me waffles with strawberries and syrup on them.

"Get then before she does," Melissa says, handing me the plate.
"Will do," I mumble as I slide a bite into my mouth.

Baby gender predictions? Yes. I have already decided what it will be:)
-E