Ch. 18: Rose

After the Lockwood Masquerade ball, Stefan and I realize that Elena is missing, so we go in search of her and learn about vampires way older than us. We learn about vampires that are 500 years old, and maybe even older than Katherine herself.

A day later, we find her, and I stake a vampire called Elijah after Elijah kills Rose's friend Trevor, by making him lose his head. Rose vanishes and we take Elena home.

We later learn that Tyler accidentally killed someone and is now a werewolf. I don't like it, because Caroline is dating him, and he could easily put her in danger. I act like I don't care, but I do care.

Later that night, I come to Elena's and wait for her in her bedroom.

A few minutes later, she comes out of her bathroom and sees me.

"Nice p-j's," I comment.

"Damon, I'm tired."

I go to stand just inches from her.

"I brought you something," I say, and hold up her necklace so she can see it.

"My necklace."

She reaches up to take it from me, but I pull it back.

"Please, give it back."

"I have to say something," I inform her.

"Why do you have to say it with my necklace?"

"Well, because what I'm about to say is probably the most selfish thing I've ever said in my life."

"Damon, don't go there."

"You only have to hear it this once."

She's silent, so I continue.

"Elena, I love you. And it's because I love you, that I can't be selfish with you. I don't deserve you, but my brother does."

She silently looks at me and I add," God, I wish you didn't have to forget this. But you do."

At vamp speed, I'm gone after quickly putting her necklace on her.