Ch. 26: The Departed

It's a dark night, as Bonnie and I walk into a storage unit in a warehouse, where Klaus is at in his coffin. We look down at Klaus, as we stand by his coffin. Klaus is burnt, but alive. And as we look down at him, Klaus opens his eyes and looks up at us.

"There's a crispy fried Original," I announce to Bonnie Bennett.

"Could you give me a minute?" Bonnie asks me, looking at me.

"Of course," I answer her.

I close the door to the shed, and walk off.

A few minutes later, a little ways from where I just came from, Ric sneaks up behind me and puts me in a choke hold.

"Where's Klaus?" he asks me.

"Unit three number 10210," I lie.

A moment later, he tightens his grip on me and everything goes black.

When I wake up, I get to my feet and start going in search of vampire Ric. Then, when I see him, I sense Rebekah not far from where I am. I come up behind her and put a hand over her mouth.

"Shh," I whisper to her by a unit section, as I watch Ric going through different units in search of Klaus. Then, when he passes the unit to the point that I can't see him anymore, I let go of her.

A few minutes later, Rebekah and I arrive where Bonnie's car is. Bonnie is in her car and Klaus is still in his coffin is in the back of Bonnie's car. Ric is there by the back of her car. And before she can drive off to take Klaus to Mystic Falls, we witness Ric put Klaus on fire. When that happens, it's all I can do to hold a sobbing, upset Rebekah back. She's an Original, so she's a lot stronger than I am, since she's a lot older than me.

Ric turns around and walks slowly towards us, facing us.

I attempt to pull Rebekah back to keep her safe from evil Ric, but she gets out of my grip and runs off out of the warehouse at vampire speed.

Elena calls me and I answer it.

"Hey, I heard," she greets me.

"Since I might be a dead man anyway, if you had to choose, who would it be? Who would get the good-bye?" I say, wanting to know who she would choose, but afraid of who she might choose.

"I care about you, Damon, which is why I have to let you go. I love Stefan. Maybe if you and I had met first...," she answers.

"It'll always be Stefan," I say, knowing what she's trying to say.

We soon hang up and Ric and I face off.

Soon, we start to fight, and I get the terrible part of the fight; probably because I don't want to hurt him. He was my friend when he was a human vampire hunter. I still care about him.

Suddenly, a few minutes later, Ric starts to fall to the ground, and I catch him, holding him in my arms. His skin starts to turn cracked and purple.

"Ric?" I say.

A moment later, he's dead which means the one thing that upsets me the most in this world. Elena Gilbert, the girl I am madly in love with, is dead. I let go of Ric and fall to the ground on my knees.

"You're not dead," I say, hoping for it not to be true, tears in my eyes.

Later that night, Elena wakes up in the morgue in transition, and Stefan and I take her home.