Chapter 21

Megan's POV:

We climb out the limo and walk through the grounds. I walk beside Alex, behind Mal and Ben. I see that things are awkward and that she's close to breaking point.

"Ben, Alex! There you are! Cotillion's tonight. Come here." Jane says to the two. They then go over and she says something to them. Ben then leans over to Mal.

"Do you want to cancel?" Ben asks.

"Um, you know what? I can come back." Jane says. "But, uh, like really, really soon."

"No, no, no, now's fine." Ben says. They look at the ipad. Ben then turns to Mal and Alex to me.

"Do whatever you need to do." Ben says to Mal.

"I know you made a promise, but do what you need to do." Alex says to me. I nod, and Alex walks to Jane. Ben then follows Jane and Alex. Evie then comes up to us, linking our arms and walking.

"We need to talk." She says.

"Yeah." Mal and I say.

"No." Carlos says from behind us. We turn to see him and Jay standing behind us.

"No?" Evie asks.

"You're always going off in a huddle, whispering your girl talk stuff or whatever, and Jay and I are tired of it." Carlos says.

"I'm not." Jay says, making me giggle in my close-to-tears state. Carlos gave him a look, and then carried on.

"We're your family, too. We've been through a lot, together. I'm not stopping that now, okay?" Carlos says, he then looks to everyone. "Everyone sit." Carlos then sits cross legged on the ground, and we look to him in shock. "Come on." He says, I then start sitting down. The girls follow my actions, as does Jay.

"Dude." I whisper, he looks to me. I pat my lap and he looks to Carlos. Carlos nods, and then Dude comes and sits in my lap. I stroke him, while everyone looks to Carlos.

"I don't know how to start girl-talk." Carlos admits.

"What up?" Jay says with a shrug. Making us girls laugh a little. Then Mal and I break.

"We're a mess. We're such a mess." Mal and I say in unison, both on the verge of tears. From their we seem to have the same idea, because we keep talking in unison. "I mean, six months ago, We were, you know, stealing candy from babies, and now... Everybody wants us to be these Ladies of the Court, and we have no idea how to keep up the act."

"The don't." Carlos tells us simply.

"See? This was dumb." Jay says, going to leave.

"Maybe not." Evie says. She then grabs mine and Mal's hand. "We're always going to be the kids from the Isle. I tried to forget it, but those are our roots. And we all did what we had to do to survive, but it made us who we are. And we're never going to be like anyone else here. And that's okay. That's okay."

"And we can't fake it." Carlos says.

"No." Evie agrees.

"Yeah. I mean especially without my spell book." Mal says.

"You don't need a spell book. Just be yourself, and if the people don't love you then they need to change the way the view the world." I tell Mal, she looks back at me.

"You're not going to take that advise, are you?" Mal asks.

"Nope." I reply, the tears welling up in my eyes.

"Hypocrite." Dude says to me. I chuckle and stoke him.

"Mal, Meg. If Ben and Alex don't love the real you, then they're not the ones." Carlos says to us. I smile to him.

"I like that." Evie says.

"Give them a chance." Carlos adds.

"I'm going to make some changes to your dresses, and if you're up for it, only if you're up for it, they'll be waiting for you, okay?" Evie says.

"Please tell me you're going to get rid of the green." I say to her.

"No." She replies with a laugh. Standing up and walking away from girl-talk. The others then follow her example Carlos takes Dude from me and then Mal and I sit there. There is then a hand on our shoulder, from Evie's place. I look up to see Jay.

"Come to Cotillion tonight, all right? If Ben and Alex aren't smart enough to love you and you can't stand another day. I will drive you both back tomorrow myself, okay?" Jay says. I smile to him and nod. Once he's gone, I look back to Mal.

"I'm going to look awful in green." I say to her. She smiles.

"I'm wearing yellow, I think you've got the better deal." She replies. I smile to her.

"I'll see you later, alright?" I say. She nods, and with that I leave to go to my dorm. As I come around the corner, someone the pushes me into a empty hallway, when I recover I look up to see Uma with Mal's spell book.

"Uma, what the hell." I ask.

"Even though the idea seems crazy, make this villain fall for Harry." Uma enchants, there is then some blue sparks from her fingers and all turns black.