Chapter 9 - Kit Can't Resist

Before

After two weeks cooped up in Devlin Novák's apartment, Kit was reaching his limit. He needed to get laid

Kit would admit, when pressed, that he might be a sex-addict. But he would go on to point out that other activities that got his pulse going and adrenaline flowing worked almost as well. Like a good old fashioned brawl, or consuming ridiculous amounts of alcohol.

Since coming here, he had done exactly none of those things.

He had searched through the condo, gone through the laptops he could find passwords for, looked up the names he could find on social media. Kit had also started cramming Russian. He had a gift for languages, but this was different from the Latin and Germanic ones he already spoke. 

Kit had moved a few pillows and blankets into the spacious hallway closet and decided to sleep there. There was food in the fridge and he had found the door-code and wifi password when he searched the apartment. Devlin was usually out.

The only other people he saw were his bodyguards, Kosta and Ilya. Ilya scowled at him and Kosta smiled blandly, eyes sliding away like oil on water.

What was a Czech vampire doing in the Russian mob, anyway? Granted, it had dominated the former Soviet states and had members of various nationalities, but how old was Devlin? 

What did he want with Kit? Just a trophy...pet?

After a week fear started to give way to frustration. Devlin had not so much as looked at him... which ought to be a good thing, but Kit could feel a terrible, familiar need building in the pit of his stomach.

He could handle a week, but two was really pushing it. The abstinence would come, and with it the shakes, cravings, sweat, nausea, headaches. More and more...unless he got his fix. 

So he needed to seduce Devlin soon, or else find a different partner. And he had and inkling - call it a gut feeling - that that would not go down well. 

Already he could feel the tremors and a pounding in his head. Soon the shaking would set in. 

He was napping fitfully, Charlie's face swimming before his eyes, when a crash sounded from outside the front door. Then a click, a -

"Fuck!" - and the heavy footsteps of three men, two of them dragging something across the floor. Hard voices arguing in Russian filled the hallway.

Kit considered it from inside the deep closet. Undoubtedly, he should stay put. The prudent thing would be to stay hidden. But then again, since when had he ever been prudent?

Pushing the door open silently, he peeked out into the hallway.

Kit shrank back as four men passed by. Devlin strode in to the living room first and behind him Kosta and Ilya were propping up a pale, blond young man. He dripped blood onto the carpet as they half-carried him to the couch, dropping him with a groan. 

Devlin was on the phone, his tone cold as he spit out the Russian word for 'doctor' repeatedly. 

Blood darkened the young man's chest - he had a hand pressed to his shoulder and another to his thigh, bleeding way too fast. His face shone with sweat but he looked pale and trembling. Would whatever doctor Devlin had called make it in time?

I should really stay out of it. Stay out of it, Kit. 

Kit stepped forward, flipping his shoulder bag open. 

"I'm a trained paramedic. Let me see him," he said loudly in broken Russian. Then he repeated it in English. Ignoring their stares, he strode forward.