Autobiography of an Ordinary Person

THE SCHOOL RE-UNION

"Hey, Shirley hi there! How are you? Haven't heard about you at all. Where have you been?" Karan asked.

"Hi Karan nothing much have been busy with some work off late. Took up commerce and dad is planning to send me Australia for further studies right after my boards." I told him.

Well, Karan was the cool dude of the class back then but, as times move on he has changed a lot.

"Hi Karan, how are you?" Shrishti asked flirting. She was surrounded by her other two girlfriends Naishi and Sanjana.

Shrishti and Karan was once the hottest couple of the school and everyone envied them and I think she likes him even now while Karan has moved on. Actually I later came to know that Karan never proposed Shrishti. It so happened that Shrishti and Karan's friend had gone out and over there Shrishti's friends started urging Karan to propose her. They all went away thinking that they are giving privacy to them but Karan was pissed. He started the relation just for fun but he couldn't end it before the school ended. Anyways who cares.

"Oh! Hi Shirley I didn't see you. How are you?" she asked uninteresting.

"I am good Shrishti what about you and your best friends Naishi and Sanjana?"

"They are good. Where is your best friend Rhea-The tom-boy." And they all laughed together.

That suddenly hit me hard and I realized that my best friend Rhea was not with me. I felt a hard blow. The most important friend of my school days was no longer with me. One and a half year passed away so soon and I was so busy with stuff and my friends that I completely forgot about her but suddenly Shrishti made me realize what I was missing in life.

Shrishti snapped her fingers and brought me back to present.

"Ummm.....yeah err..... She will be here in a err.....a while. Excuse me."

I left them and thought about me and Rhea. I was very sure that she would not come today because she was not attached to the school. She was never too excited about her re-union. She was always the odd member she was no doubt one of the most intelligent girl in the school but she was not like every other girl she didn't like to fake herself and hide behind the mask of the make-up. She was always very clear about what she talked and what she felt. She didn't hold grudges against anyone and cleared out everything, she was way too frank for the other girls to handle her. That's why she was always found with either some of the boys and if all of them were busy then she was alone. I pitied her a lot. She didn't even cry on her farewell she was just too happy to leave it all behind and start a new life. She got the admission in best college in the city and I was very happy for her. She was there were every commerce student desired to be and none of our school student could get her so she was on the cloud nine when she got admitted there and then started the worst phase of our friendship. She always used to tell me during school,

"Shirley I will be there one day where every student from our school dreamt to be but couldn't ever reach."

And she proved herself on that part by getting admitted in best college.

I still remember the day very clearly and with Shrishti reminding me about it it felt like she had sprinkled salt on my wounds and it all came fresh to my mind.

"Hi Shirley, how are you?"Someone called me from behind. I turned over to see who it is but couldn't recognize who it is it took me a second to realize that it was Sahil.

Sahil was the only guy in the whole school who had a crush on Rhea. But Rhea was least concerned about it she didn't even care about it. During her school days, she would talk to Sahil as if she is talking to any other guy in school. Such was Rhea's attitude!!! She wouldn't show attitude to people who behaved with her properly and to people who didn't behave properly with them it was almost like hell for them.

Sahil cleared his throat brought me back.

"Hey, I am sorry. I am fine Sahil, how are you?"

I am good too. So what are you doing these days?"

"Nothing much. Dad planning to send me abroad so preparing for that."

"Oh! Mind blowing yaar. So did you find your 'some-one special'??"

Back then we used to name our boyfriend/girlfriend (the few ones who had) as our 'the someone special'. It was very silly but we found it too cute. We had even given nick-names to few of us. I don't remember all of them but Rhea was 'The Tom Boy' I was like 'Silly shilly'(just because it rhymed) and Sahil was the 'Fatso'. He hadn't improved yet.

"Hello? Where do you get lost?"

"In the school days. They were so awesome. FATSO..."

"SHUT UP.Silly Shilly." And we both laughed in unison.

If I know Sahil too well he would ask about Rhea and I was all ready to avoid the question but knowing him so well made me sure that he would ask. He looked a bit uneasy.

"Ummmm errrr..Shirley can I ask you something?"

"Ya sure. What is it?"

"Where is Rhea?" Something began to sparkle in his eyes.

"Actually Sahil I thought you would be in contact with her, aren't you?" He blushed.

"No. I wanted to be but couldn't trace her. I tried to contact her through facebook, but no result. She just didn't reply."

"Sahil you know that she was never interested in school during even her school days so I am not sure that she will be coming or no. And to top it all it is a couple night too and Rhea finding a guy will be the last thing possible. So I really doubt whether she will come." I said.

"Oh! Yeah. Thank you. Will catch ya soon. Bye."

"Ya bye." We smiled

Looking at him I could say that disappointment was all over his face. I pitied him a lot. But more than him I pitied myself. He lost someone who didn't love him, but I lost someone who loved me unconditionally. It always took one sorry and a puppy-faced look to lure Rhea from her sadness but I didn't do even that out of my ego and pride. Mad!! Now I realize how important she was in my life. Today when I see friends reuniting with each other I miss her too much.

Suddenly I realized that the glass I was holding was empty. I went to the cold-drinks counter. Just then I heard people around me whisper something to each other.

"I just saw a girl entering the building when I came she is wearing a blue dress and she is looking so sexy." Someone said.

"Yeah even I heard someone saying that I don't think she is from our batch because as far as I remember Shrishti was the most beautiful girl. But I don't know why she looks like Rhea."

"RHEA???????!!!!!!!!!" exclaimed the other two.

I was shocked to hear the name but before I could react with the others.

She entered tall as ever and besides her was the most handsome boy I have ever seen in my life. He had the deepest color of blue eyes I ever saw, body that of an athlete height matched to hers. She wore an elegant blue dress that matched his eyes. As she walked in all the eyes fell on her. She was without a doubt looking the most beautiful amongst all. She had the mischievousness of a 17-year-old in her eyes and as she laughed she looked the most beautiful teenager ever. She was RHEA. My ex-best friend RHEA RAHEJA.