CHAPTER 10: I Didn't Mean To

WADE

Somehow Racine and I seemed to separate as everyone was saying hi to us both and when I finally was able to break away for a brief moment and started looking for her before Neil and Levi were about to announce that it was time to sit and have dinner, I noticed she was talking to a man and a young woman. It seemed as though she knew them and even though I couldn't hear much of what they were saying, I could tell she was upset.

When she took off towards the bathroom, I was a little worried and also a bit pissed off because even though I didn't know who the guy and girl was, the fact they went out of their way to upset Racine was not just pathetic but frustrating to me.

After Neil and Levi announced to everyone it was time to sit down to eat. I saw Racine come out of the bathroom and start making her way towards us as I was lucky to be sitting next to her tonight as she sat next to Levi and Neil.

While walking towards the table, I could still see her looking upset and right as she was getting ready to pull her chair out, I beat her to it and did it for her.

"Racine." I smile.

"Thanks." She smiles vaguely and takes a seat. Then I take mine next to her.

The meal was great and while we all were talking with one another, I saw out the corner of my eye while talking with Levi's aunt, that Racine was eating a plate of seconds.

I also could see her eyes looking at something while she ate and when I followed the direction she was looking in to, I saw that guy and woman who upset her.

Levi's aunt has just finished talking to me before she turned around with her back towards me and began talking with others. I next leaned in a little bit and lowly told Racine something in her ear.

"Don't worry beautiful, they aren't worth getting upset over." I try to reassure her but when she looks at me, her eyes get bigger as though she realizes what she's doing and looks away and see's the guy and girl again and then stops eating and starts drinking her drink.

When I notice them looking at her in disgust while talking shit about her, I'm sure of, I next ask the waiter to bring me the surf and turf platter that normally is meant to feed eight people but I can't have her being looked at like that and feel like shit because of their ignorance.

Besides, I am someone that can eat a lot because I work it off anyways but also have always had a big stomach. In fact, I used to be a competitive eater in high school and used to win almost all of the time. They had called me 'Wade The Tornado.' I won't be eating this fast of course, but at least hopefully this will help make her feel better. Seeing as to how now I will be the one eating the most.

After the waiter set it down, everyone's eyes were on me as well as Levi's, Neil's and also Racine's. Her eyes were huge.

I started eating it and even offered her some but when I did, she looked upset? I didn't expect that reaction. Why is she upset?

She next excuses herself and leaves. I feel confused right now.

I wanted to go after her but Levi grabbed my wrist to stop me from getting up.

"Hey! Why would you do that?" He asks me.

"I didn't mean to upset her. I was just trying to make her feel better. At least I thought it would, since that asshole and bitch over there were poking fun of her." I nodded in their direction.

"Oh, fuck me sideways!" He says under his breath.

"What?! Who are they." I asked.

"I specifically told my uncle not to invite him. He's Racine's ex. They broke up a year ago and I don't know the details but it was a bad breakup." He says.

"Oh. But why did she get upset though when I ordered the food? Why did you get upset?" I asked.

"Cause you ordered a lot of food and made her more upset because you're making fun of her." He exclaims.

"No. I didn't. I really had wanted the attention off of her, I swear." I say feeling like shit.

"Ohhhh...." He says. "Sorry. Well, let her cool off for tonight and tomorrow, we will go and things will be better. I promise they will be. In fact, she probably was really embarrassed that you saw her 'eating her emotions.' "He finishes.

Right away he regrets telling me that and asks me not to tell her he told me that. Which of course I won't but, I need to make sure that I make it up to her. Although I don't know how.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)