Chapter 21

Christy

I stepped outside, the cold air washing over my exposed skin on my face, my axe gripped in my hand. I sigh, and relax slightly, pulling down my goggles, and buttoning the top button on Toby's sweat shirt. I don't know what I was doing, to be honest, I barely ever knew.

Which is why I'm so scared of what I'm feeling.

I, Christina Caroline Hershal, can not do anything right.

I scared of hurting Toby because.... He loves me. And I think I love him too, but I don't know how to love someone. And that scares me. I hate feeling helpless. The grip on my axe tightens, and I sigh, walking around the perimiter of the lake, my breath making little clouds in the air around me. The moon shone down happily, bathing everything in silver light. I circle the entire lake, coming back to the house in half an hour. On the porch, Toby's sitting on the swing with a blanket wrapped around his shoulders.

"Hey." I call to him as I climb the steps. He jumps and smiles at me, his goggles and muzzle missing.

"H-Hey." I sit next to him, using one foot to nudge the swing into motion.

"Are you ok?" I ask, and he nods, and upon seeing my red nose and cheeks from the cold, takes off the blanket and tries to wrap it around my shoulders. I lean back. "No, you need it, I have-"

"You're g-going to freeze." He says as he tries again to wrap the blanket around me. I tumble off the swing, making him fall with me, and land right over top of me. I blush bright red, noticing how hes straddling me, his arms on either side of my shoulders. His cheeks glow the same hue as mine.

"I-Im f-fine." I stumble out, our breath making joint clouds in the night air.

"I-I was talking to EJ... and H-He said it would b-be a good idea t-to take you and Saph to the sh-shooting range... To t-teach you guys how to use guns and st-stuff." I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Like a double date?" His cheeks turn brighter red, and he laughs nervously, finally climbing off of me.

"M-Maybe." He rubs the back of his head, "I-If you w-wanted to." He whispers, and I smile, lurching forward, pinning him to the ground as I press my lips agaisnt his, on of my hands playing with his hair.

"I would love to." I whisper, standing up and leaving him astonished and blushing on the porch.

~×~

"Alright, here's the safety, here's how to reload the gun, and here's how to..." EJ drones on. I tune it all out, knowing all there is to know about the glock. He sets it down, pointing outwards. Towards us. I yelp and run forward, glaring at him.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I snap, turning the gun away, and turning on the safety. He smiles, his face exposed.

"Good. You were the only one to figure that out. I purpously did that." I growl at him, pick up the gun, and pop out the magazine. I gasp.

"EYELESS JACK THIS GUN WAS LOADED!" He shrugs, and looks like he ccouldn't care less. I snap the magazine back in, flick off the safety, and point it at him.

"How do you like having an unpredictable gun pointed at you?" I ask, growling.

"Christy!" Saph yells. I smirk and set the gun down, shrugging, mocking him.

"Fine. You know so much about guns, you take the first magazine." I raise an eyebrow at him, smile, and chuckle slightly.

"Ok." I grab the gun expertly, and take not a second to sight it, letting off the shots as fast as was allowed. I set it down, check to see its empty, turn on safety, and hit the button to bring the target up.

There's only one hole in the entire thing, right through the middle.

"Yeah, you got a bullseye, but you didn't hit it with anything else." He says triumphantly. I laugh and point to the board, 100 meters out, that contains the gun shots. He squints.

"Holy shit." He whispers.

"What is it?" Toby asks.

"I only hit the bullseye. There's only one hole because they all went to the exact same place." I say with a smirk. I push the gun towards EJ. "Beat that, jackass."

"Christina!" Saph snaps at me. I glare at her with a smile.

"Hey, not my fault your stupid boyfriend doubted my abilities. My fathers a prepper. I could take apart, clean, assemble, load, and shoot a glock before I was one."

"Cool." Toby whispers. I laugh and grin at him. "Only thing s-sexier than a chick w-with a gun is a ch-chick with a motorcycle." I blush bright red and chuckle, rubbing my neck.

"Aaaaactually..." His face morphs, and he shakes hhis head.

"You drive motorcycles." He states. I nod. He points at me. "You're now my most favorite person in the world." I laugh, and even Saph and EJ smirk at our bickering.

We finish up at the gun range, and head home when Toby grabs my hand in his. I look down, seeing his glove. I pull away, take his hand, rip off the glove, and take his hand again, smiling up at him. He smiles back, and in the shade of a tree, leans over to kiss me. I meet his lips, when there's a bright flash of light. I jerk back and cover my eyes.

"What the-" Saph laughs, cutting me off. She tucks her camera back in her bag, and winks at me. I blush and throw a rock at her.

"Hehe..." Toby suddenly chuckles, and when I turn to look at him, he sweeps me up off my feet, carrying me bridal style. He holds me close, and starts running.

"Oh my God!" I scream, burying my head into his shoulder, and holding him tightly.

"RACE YOU BACK TO THE HOUSE!" Toby screams at EJ and Saph. He sprint's off, and I laugh.

We burst into the house, and run around, locking all the doors and windows. They run up, and yell from outside. I stick my tongue out from inside, and laugh. Toby comes up behind me, and picks me up, holding my waist, and twirling me around. I blush and grab his hands.

"Hehe we w-win!" He yells. I giggle and lean back agaisnt him. He smiles, and leans down, kissing me softly.