Chapter 2

Finally, I'd gotten some sleep. Iwoke feeling a little bit better. I shifted position and immediatelyhad to go to the bathroom. I made to get up from the bed, but I feltAnders tighten his grip and hug me closer. "Not so soon. It'sstill early," he protested, groggily.

"Bladder!" I choked asI felt my baby stir and press down right on it.

Anders chuckled and released me."That sounds painful."

"You have no idea," Isaid struggling to get out of the bed. I hurried to do my businessthen feeling like a new person, returned to Anders.

"Better?" he askedsitting up behind me as I lowered myself gingerly to the bed. Inodded, turning my head for a kiss. I winced slightly as my backtwinged uncomfortably. "Uh oh." Anders smiled knowingly."Sleep wrong?"

I nodded, pouting. "Myback," I said reaching to press my fingers to the sore spot."I'm getting too old for this," I joked as he beganmassaging my lower back, pressing heat into my muscles with hisfingers.

"Does that mean this is ourlast?" he teased moving his wonderful hands slowly all the wayup my sore back to my shoulders.

"Let's get through this onefirst, then we'll talk." I smirked.

I enjoyed the soothing massage,sighing deeply. "I really wish I could help more," he said,referring to my sleeplessness.

"It will pass," I said."You know I always get restless the last few months."

"Restless!" he scoffed."You haven't had a full night's sleep in over two weeks, Ana."

"Has it been that long?"I asked, pretending I hadn't noticed.

His hands slipped down my arms torest near my elbows where he squeezed. "You know it has,"he said.

"Can we not talk about it?"I pleaded. "It makes me tired."

"Not sleeping makes youtired," he reasoned. "Talking about it makes you bored."

"I'm going to see what Danteis doing. He's probably up already," I said, finished talking. Istood, his hands slipping off my arms.

I felt bad brushing him off, butI couldn't tell him what was wrong if I didn't know. I was having anon and off feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach and that waswhat kept me awake. It made no sense. I'd had Daeron check me out aweek back without Anders knowing and he'd found nothing amiss with meor the baby.

I sighed, hugging my stomach as Ishuffled to check on my youngest. Walking down the chilly hallway, Iran into Stefan. "Ana! You're up early." He smiled, bobbinghis son in his arms.

I smiled back as he stopped hispacing and I reached to tickle Henry's stomach. "You too,"I said.

"He's fussy this morning,"Stefan explained.

"It's rough for him withouthis mother," I said. "Beri's still not coming 'round?"

Stefan grimaced and shook hishead. "She still barely speaks to me. I've noticed her down onthe practice field all of the time."

"Its how she blows offsteam," I said. "I kind of wish I could be down there withher."

"You having problems?"he asked with concern.

I sighed. "Just somepregnancy jitters," I said. "I tend to get like this."

"I'm sorry," he said."Is that why you're up so early?"

I nodded. "I'm not sleepingwell."

"It will get better whenReif gets back from Lunda. I know you're restless partially becausehe's gone," Stefan observed.

"He has a kingdom to rule.He'd already been gone too long," I said.

"When is he due back?"Stefan asked as we started walking slowly toward Dante's room again.

"Six weeks," I said,rubbing my belly as I walked.

"Before you're due," hepointed out.

"Hopefully," I said,remembering he'd just made Dante's birth because he'd come early.

"It looks like he's finallyasleep," Stefan smiled, looking down at Henry.

"Go put him down and getsome sleep," I chided.

"I'd say the same to you,but you can't put yours down," he joked lightly.

"Lucky me," I said asmy baby shifted as if knowing we were discussing it.

"I'll see you later."He walked off with Henry to heed my advice.