Chapter 8

Twelve hours later, I wasexhausted and ready to quit. Things had headed south nine hours inand I silently fought the darkness floating just outside of myvision. I was determined to make sure my baby was safe before Ipassed out. I was slowly losing the battle with my consciousness. Ithink Anders knew something wasn't right, because every time I cameclose to dropping my eyelids closed, he would squeeze my hand and saysomething like, "Hang in there..." or "Wen says it's not longnow."

I could taste Reif's concern inthe back of my throat like sour milk. "Could you not fret sopalatably," I requested, drawing frowns from all but him. He knewwhat it was like to be assaulted by my feelings. He brought shieldsup against me, caressing my skin like a giant cat rubbing against meand smiled. "Thanks," I sighed then screamed as one of the everincreasing contractions caused me to writhe uncomfortably. "Wen..."I asked hopefully through gritted teeth.

It was like a huge weight liftedwhen finally she nodded. "I think we can try pushing now."

I gathered all the strength Icould muster to do this in one shot. I knew I wouldn't have asecond chance. I felt my mind slipping away, tugging roughly as Ifought the darkness. Holding both Anders' and Reif's hands, I satup and gave it my all. I felt my baby slip from my womb, releasing mefrom the responsibility of his life and when I heard the harsh wailof a newborn, I sighed, collapsing backwards, and let go.

I fell, long and fast. Just whenI thought it would never end, I hit the ground hard, landing facefirst. I let out an 'oof' as the air flew from my lungs. I justlay there with my eyes closed, slowly recovering, before finallyopening my eyes to glance around, taking in my surroundings.

The ground I was lying on wassoft and smelled of freshly rained on dirt. I pushed myself upslowly, wrapping my arm around my stomach, which was surprisinglyflat. I stood, looking around and deciding whether I had any brokenbones. My ribs ached with each breath, so I tried to breatheshallowly, which only made it worse. Drops of rain fell from the sky,slapping my face and soaking my clothes. It was dark, no stars ormoon shone and shadows played just outside my line of sight. Eventhough I could see better in the dark than most humans, I was nomatch for Reif. I wished he was with me. I closed my eyes andbreathed deep, jarring my ribs, but I pushed anyway, trying to findReif's mind. I couldn't touch him. I'd never felt so alone.

Lightning flashed and I saw therewere mangled and gnarly trees spread few and far between all aroundme. The Briarwood was never this barren, even in winter. I triedagain to call to Reif, but was unsuccessful. "Well, this sucks,"I mumbled.

I wanted to take the time toworry about my baby, and Anders and if everything was alright, but Ineeded to focus. Finding a way out of this place was my priority, Istarted to walk, limping around the pain still wracking my chest. IfI had to fight, I would be in trouble. Suddenly, I needed to shake myhead and mentally slap myself for the carelessness of not checkingfor weapons. By feel alone, I concluded I was completely unarmed fromhead to foot. I cursed and continued to walk, glancing around foranything I could use as a weapon. As I walked, I noticed an annoyingbuzzing following me everywhere I went. When I focused on it, I wasthrown back by an onslaught of conversation.

"Dammit, Daeron! What is goingon?!" Anders' voice was angry and frightened.

"I don't know," Daeronadmitted. "This is nota physical malady."

"We have to do something,"Reif said.

"I'm afraid to touch her withmagic. If she's under some curse or spell, I could make it worse byinterfering," Anders sighed in frustration.

"You said she just collapsedafter the baby came?" Beri's voice chimed in.

"I knewshe was struggling," Anders said. His voice was shaky.

"She fought for her son,"Reif said. "She made sure he was alright before giving in."

"There was nothing you couldhave done," Wen said softly.

"Dammit!" I heard a crash andflinched, knowing Anders had just broken something.

"Calm down, Da! We'll figuresomething out," I heard Stephanie say from close by Reif. I couldpicture his comforting arm around her shoulders.

"Reif is right. Something hasto be done soon," I heard Stefan very close to me. "We don'tknow where she is, and having personally seen a few differentdimensions, I am not keen on leaving her too long in any of them."

"We don't know that'swhat's happened," Beri scoffed.

"Do you have a betterexplanation?" he snapped back.

"I'm mostly disturbed by thefact that I can't feelher," Reif said, his voice pained. I knew how he felt. It's likea piece of me was missing. I sighed in the silence that followed hiscomment.

"I wonder if she can hear us,"Daeron mused.

"It is doubtful," Reif saidmournfully. "Her spirit is not resting with her body. I would knowif she had stayed behind." His tone was unsure. At least he hadn'tlost allhope.

"I can't just sit around anddo nothing," Anders growled. "I'm going to see if I can figureout anything in the library." He didn't want to look at me lyingthere looking hopeless and I didn't blame him.

"Someone must know somethingabout whatever is happening," Steph said.

"What of the bothersome littletoad who came when Stefan was possessed?" Beri asked.

"Marl?" Steph asked, thedefinitive tone of a snarl in her voice. "He was barely helpful,then took off as soon as Balthazar flitted off to whatever hell hecrawled out of. Mama figured out how to heal Stefan."

"Okay, so no Marl," Daeronsaid, opening the floor for any other suggestions.

"If not Marl, perhaps anotherexorcist," Reif suggested.

"Where do you suggest we find acompetent exorcist?" Beri asked skeptically.

"Wherever we can," Stefangrowled at her. "I'll go... to every city and village in thecountry if I must." My heart swelled. Stefan, my perpetual knightin shining armor. I don't think he'd ever get over that part ofhimself. I was like his addiction.

"And what of your... son,"Beri said and I could tell she was scowling.

"Henry is ourson, in case you forgot! Can you not bear to care for him just whileI'm gone?" he snarled, his voice moving away from me.

"I'll tend him," Wenoffered. "What's one more for a time?"

"He isour nephew," Daeron agreed.

"Thank you, Aelairwen,"Stefan said pointedly.

"I want to go with you,"Stephanie announced, her boots tapping the ground indicating she'dstepped away from Reif.

"We'll have to ask yourfather's permission to halt your lessons," Stefan said, acceptingher offer.

"You are certain, Lubit?"Reif asked softly.

"This is my mother," shesaid. "I haveto do this."

His silence was enough to let meknow he approved. "Reif, I think you should stay here and keeptrying to reach her," Stefan suggested.

"I couldn't bear to part fromher now, anyway," he confessed. "On the slim hope she canhear us, I believe someone speaking to her will help. Anders and Iwill take shifts."

"So we're agreed?" Daeronasked, still mediating.

 "It would seem so." I letReif's voice fade. I had all the information I needed for the timebeing. My son was safe and my case was close to hopeless. I sighedand started walking again. I trudged slowly, hoping I would soon seea change of scenery, but it looked like that wasn't going to happenany time soon.