Chapter 9

I tried desperately to ignore myaching side, but after walking for what seemed like hours, I wasforced to stop. I pressed one palm to a tree to hold myself up, andimmediately snatched it back, hissing in pain as the movement jarredmy ribs. "What the..." I whispered, squinting at the trunk. Myhand came away the crimson color of fresh blood. The tactileexperience was less than desirable. It felt like dunking my hand inmaple syrup. I wiped the sticky substance off on my pants and steppedaway from the tree. "Weird..." I commented. The tree wasbleeding. As I glanced around, I noticed it wasn't the only one.Each and every tree was seeping the maple blood from its bark.

Wiping my hand again, I walkedaway, glancing back at the tree every few steps. It made my skincrawl. I noticed the rain letting up and was relieved for the smallfavor. I was drenched to the bone and my clothes clung to me like asecond skin. Feeling sore and uncomfortable, I found a section ofdirt relatively free of seeping trees and gingerly sunk to theground. My chest was on fire. I slowly lifted up my shirt to get agood look at my side. My ribs were bruised from just below my breastto just above my waist. I touched fingers to the discolored skin andyelped in pain. "Definitely broken," I winced. "Wonderful." Ihad nothing to wrap it with and wasn't sure if I would be able todo it myself even if I did.

Dropping my shirt back down, Ilay down on my other side and let a hopeless fog settle over me. Eachbreath was agony and I didn't feel tired. I prayed Stefan and Stephwould be able to find help. I didn't know how long I would be ableto endure this place. As I wallowed in my pain and self pity, Isuddenly felt a tugging at my hand. I lifted it up and looked at itcuriously. My eyes widened as I experienced an inexplicable case ofstigmata. The skin of my palm sliced open before my eyes and startedto bleed as if someone had taken a knife to it. I panicked for amoment before a tickling sensation in my stomach stirred a memory ofa feeling. "Reif," I whispered, smiling. He was trying to healme. He must have cut my hand to mingle our blood. My panic fadedquickly and I opened myself up to let him in. When nothing elsehappened, I slumped in misery. I suppose if I couldn't reach him,he was unable to reach me. Now, on top of my broken ribs, I had ahuge gash in my palm that seemed to enjoy bleeding very much. Igritted my teeth and ripped the sleeve from my shirt. Using the clothas a bandage, I wrapped my hand and tied it off tight to staunch theflow.

Unable to sleep, I struggled tomy feet and continued on. There had to be a way out of here. Takingmy time was the only option I had and apparently I had nothing buttime. It rained off and on, and I never saw any light anywhere in thesky. The only glow around seemed to emanate from the bloody trees. Iwas an eerie red radiance that reminded me of when I glimpsed Reif'saura.

That thought made me stop in mytracks and shudder. Could these trees be all that was left of soulsthat had gotten trapped here? "Bloody hell..." I whispered. Ireally had no idea how I'd gotten here or who or what wasresponsible. I didn't even know where here was. Was I trapped in myown mind, or had my aura left my body and traveled across the veil?"No, because if I'd crossed the veil, I'd be dead," Imumbled, my long trek turning into a thoughtful pacing. What the hellwas happening?

I'd been walking for three daysstraight, or so I thought. I really had no way of knowing and I'dgotten absolutely nowhere. I had yet to get tired, other than theexhaustion of trying to breathe around my broken ribs and I seemed tobe healing abnormally slowly. My palm had bled for two whole daysbefore finally letting up, leaving an angry looking slice of agonythat left that hand completely useless.

My world buzzed constantly,letting me know someone was near my body talking. The couple timesI'd stopped to listen, I'd been comforted by either Reif orAnders droning on about whatever popped into their minds. When mypacing didn't yield any helpful thoughts, I stopped and loweredmyself to sit on the ground, giving my ribs a rest, I concentrated onthe buzzing, tuning in to Anders' dulcet voice. He was singingsoftly from not far away. I allowed my nerves to be calmed by thelullaby. When he finished, I heard him sigh aloud. "Your motherused to sing that melody to your big sister when she was your age.Your sister, of course, not your mother. I didn't know your motherwhen she was your age, though at this point, it feels like I'veknown her forever. Da's not doing so well without your mother hereto smack me back in line. I'm coming apart at the seams Abram and Idon't know how to get your mother back." I could hear the tremorin his voice signaling tears and my throat closed over. I missedAnders terribly. I choked back a sob as Anders continued. "I'mhaving a bloody awful time of things. At least the last time we wereseparated, I wasthe one in trouble. If I lose her for good," he sighed heavily,composing himself. "But I promised I wouldn't discuss suchmaudlin topics in front of you. You're much too young for all ofthat." I pulled myself away, hugging my stomach and rocking. Thesobs that escaped were frightened and pitiful sounds that made mehate myself for allowing such weakness.

I swallowed the tears andreplaced my fear with anger and determination. Pushing myself to myfeet, I stomped ahead with renewed vigor. "I willfind my way out of here," I growled. It was a promise to myself...to Anders and my son... to Reif who still had not given up trying toforce our connection... to my daughter and Stefan who'd droppedtheir own lives to travel the world to save mine, even if it was on astretch of logic.

As I walked endlessly, I feltReif trying yet again to touch my mind. His determined tries werewhat I used to track the days. Tonight, I felt him floating around myaura and a spark of hope flipped my stomach upside down when Ithought I felt someone touch my shoulder. I spun around. Reif!"

When I saw no one, I slumped indisappointment. Now I was going to start feeling things. So thisplace wouldeventually drive me insane. Good to know. That was something to lookforward to. I sighed and submitted to the buzzing, trying to hearwhat Reif had to say. "I will nevergive up on you, my SalonulSange. I fear if youdo not come back to us, our Anders will be irreparably ruined. I knowyou would not allow that to happen if you could help it. You mustfight whatever holds you from us, Stasia."

"How can I fight somethingthat's not here?" I answered even though I knew he couldn'thear. I glanced around. "I'm surrounded by sodding, bleedingtrees and emptiness... nothing to fight!" I slipped the buzzingback into the background and crossed my arms. "Am I supposed towait for some boogeyman to show up?" I jumped as I felt someonedefinitely touch me this time.

I clutched my arm to my side,fighting the pain of my ribs and tried desperately to see who washere with me after days on end of abiding desolation. "Showyourself!" I demanded angrily. I was notgoing to let myself be taunted. "Coward!" I yelled when I saw noone. I didn't let on to my trembling limbs and the knot of fearthat had settled into the pit of my stomach.