Chapter 16

Two days later, Reif caught meoff guard as I was finishing up one of my meditation sessions withEmmeline. "Stasia, can we speak privately?"

Emmeline touched my arm. "Go bewith your bond mate. I'm going to go have a walk in your garden."She smiled gently.

I followed Reif toward his room,watching Em disappear out the double doors to the garden for as longas I could see her. When she closed the door, I turned my attentionto Reif and almost tripped over him. "What's the matter?" Iasked.

"Let us continue to mychambers," he said, looking a bit twitchy.

"You're very tense," Iobserved.

"Hmm..." he mumbled as wewalked. I caught his hand and he clutched mine urgently. When we gotto his room, he swung me inside, flinging me away from him. The doorclosed behind us with a slam and he pounced. "I cannot take muchmore," he growled.

"What?" I asked, wonderingwhy he was gripping my shoulders so tightly.

"It's been over a year sinceI've tasted you," he sighed heavily, nuzzling my neck and takingshort, arousing nips with his fangs. "Have you had time to recoversufficiently?"

My knees went weak. I'd been sopreoccupied, I'd not even thought about Reif and how he was gettinghis blood. "Oh, my," I moaned, enjoying his attentions much morethan usual. It had to be Balthazar's influence.

His low, seductive chuckle tuggedat my libido. "I take that as a yes, SalonulSange."

"Yes," I whispered, pawinghis chest in an embarrassing display. I couldn't believe I'dallowed us to go so long without sharing blood.

Reif breathed heavily on my neckjust before sinking his fangs deep into my flesh. I didn't evenhave a chance to feel the pain turn to pleasure before he pushed meaway violently. I stumbled backward, my palm flying to my woundedneck. Reif spat my blood out like it was poison. I stared in horror,my blood seeping through my fingers and down my arm. When he'dfinished having a conniption, his eyes flashed to black and hegrabbed me roughly. "Who are you?!" he demanded, shaking meviolently.

I felt sick. "Stop shaking me,"I protested, my free hand going to my stomach. It sounded pathetic,even to me.

"You're quite good," hemused, ceasing the shaking but still gripping my arms. "I wasconvinced you were Stasia until I tasted your blood, demon."

"It's me, Reif," Iinsisted. "I swear."

"What did you do with mySalonul Sange?"he growled.

"You're hurting her," Icomplained. His grip was like iron. I swear if he squeezed anyharder, he was going to sever my arms.

He stared appraisingly at me, hiseyes boring into my soul. I flinched under the scrutiny, but he kepthis gaze glued to me. "I want the truth, Stasia," he said and Iknew he believed me.

I sighed, pulling away from hisdeath grip. "I'm so sorry, Reif," I said, averting my gaze.

"Don't apologize! Explain!"he demanded, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I'm not exactly... alone inmy own skin," I began, continuing with my whole story.

When I finished he growled, "Whydid you not tell me?"

I had no answer except,'Balthazar told me not to...' and even I knew that sounded likerubbish. I settled for a shrug.

"Does anyone know?" he asked,glaring. "Anders perhaps?"

"Do you think if he knew I waspossessed he'd be as calm as he is? Do you think he'd let me nearthe children?"

"So, nobody knows?" heinsisted.