Chapter 5

I tried for two hours to close myeyes and get some rest, but sleep wouldn't come. Finally, I got up,frustrated, and began pacing. I soon noticed I was sweating, so Iopened the door and slipped out onto the balcony. The cold air hit myface in a refreshing blast. The sun was beginning to slip below thehorizon, casting a pink and orange glow across the blue sky. I staredwith rapture at the beauty of it all, suddenly feeling like I shouldburn the image into my mind and remember it. My stomach flipped withfear.

I started to cry, hugging mystomach and allowing myself the private breakdown. I needed Reif.Anders was correct in that. I turned to rush back into the room andcollect my dagger. I flew as fast as I could, out of the room anddown to the garden. Thankfully, I didn't run into anyone and Ireached the garden unheeded. I made my way to an empty patch of grasswhere I dropped to my knees, biting my lip as I sliced open my palm.I slapped the ground, mingling my blood with the soil as Iconcentrated on Reif.

Stasia?I felt him perk up as he felt my presence mingling with his. Areyou crying?

A little bit,I answered, my heart slowing to normal as his mind caressed sweetlyinside my own and calmed my nerves.

Is there a problem? Hassomething happened? Heasked frantically.

I could feel the snow seepingthrough my skirts as I knelt, staining it red with my blood. Nothingtoo serious, I said,shivering. I justneeded you, that's all.

I'm so sorry you have tosuffer. I'm traveling as fast as I can. The storm is making it moredifficult, he said. Icould feel him shaking with the need to help me.

I lowered myself down to lie onmy side, heedless of the cold as I said, Couldyou talk to me?

About what?He asked.

Anything. I just need to hearyour voice. I yawned.My feelings and emotions were all so numb it was like living under ablanket of fog where nothing mattered except Reif's voice.

I could feel the fast yet steadygait of Spirit as he rode her hard through the woods. He spokeunerringly as I clung desperately to his every word.

I think, finally, I will tellyou of how I was turned. When I first arrived in this country, I wasalone. I knew no one, had no skills except my battle training, andbarely enough money to find a roof to put over my head.

Late one night, I stumbledupon a small village. After a long day of traveling, I was weary anddecided the inn was as good a place as any to stay. The innkeepertook me in, realizing my plight, and kindly offered me freeaccommodations. I accepted heartily, even offering to muck out herstables as payment. She was grateful, telling me the sad tale of howshe'd recently lost her only son to illness.

I became close with the woman,over the months as she allowed me to work for my room and board. Wewere both so lonely it was a good fit. She became like the mother Icouldn't remember and I to her replaced her departed son.

One night after dinner, I wentout to tend to the horses of a visiting merchant. I was raking strawinto the stalls when I heard a small noise coming from the backcorner. I dropped my tool and retrieved the lantern from its hook toshine it on the source of the disturbance.

Huddled in the darkness was awoman. I could scarcely believe my eyes. She was crying andshivering. It looked as if she'd been hiding out there for days. Iknelt in front of her and when she looked up at me, my heartclenched. She had pale blue eyes and hair the color of a raven'sfeathers. I spoke softly to her, asking her name and what hadhappened.

She looked terrified, butanswered me shakily. She told me her name was Ada and she had runfrom marauders along the road, taking shelter in the closest placeshe could find. I saw her clothes had been torn and when I asked whyshe hadn't come inside, she told me all of her money had beenstolen.