Chapter 07: Hey There, Delilah

FLASHBACK- A Plain White T's songfic wherein Aquaria is in L.A. working too much and the reader is taking online college classes (two more years boo!) for [insert topic here] back in NYC. Featuring SO.MUCH.FLUFF. October of 2016

Hey there, Delilah

What's it like in New York city?

I'm a thousand miles away

But, girl, tonight you look so pretty

Yes, you do

Times Square can't shine as bright as you

I swear, it's true

As your phone rang while you were just finishing something for class, you could only think of one person it could be. Sure enough, it was Giovanni. "Babe are you alive?" He asked, hopefully joking. "Why wouldn't I be, love?" You replied, laughing. "School? Work? Missing me?" He said. "Yes, yes and fuck yes!" You responded. Gio only laughed, and you couldn't tell, but also smiled as he went quiet. "Gio?" You asked, wanting to know if he was still there. "Yeah?" He asked. "You okay, babe?" You inquired seriously. "Yeah. I just miss you. I just...I can see you now and you're so beautiful." He said, making you blush. "Thank you...god, Times Square is bright tonight. I can't sleeep!" You said, smiling like a moron after Gio's previous remark. "It's never going to shine as bright as you, Y/N." he said sincerely. "Gio, where's all this coming from?" You asked, giggling like your inner child. "It's true!" He said, slightly defensive. "Yeah, yeah. You're the hot one, dumbass." You said, rolling you eyes, but still blushing. "Bullshit, babe!" He said, laughing profusely, only making you miss him more...if possible.

Hey there, Delilah

Don't you worry about the distance

I'm right there if you get lonely

Give this song another listen

Close your eyes

Listen to my voice, it's my disguise

I'm by your side

"Hey Gio?" You began."Yeah?" He responded. "When will you be back?" Your inquiry continued. "Y/N, baby, I don't know. In the meantime, don't worry. I'm right there if you get lonely. Just call me if you miss me. Why?" His attempt at reassurance only made you miss him more. "I just miss you...like, a lot." You sighed sadly. "You have no idea how much I miss you. I guarantee I miss you more." He said, still trying to reassure you you'd be okay. "Dumbass." You snickered. "Guilty as charged." He replied, the smirk on his face somehow visible through his words.

Hey there, Delilah

I know times are gettin' hard

But just believe me, girl

Someday I'll pay the bills with this guitar

We'll have it good

We'll have the life we knew we would

My word is good

"Gio? How much are you making at gigs? They're underpaying me at work and I'm getting a little scared..." You said, practically pouring out your soul to your boyfriend. "Y/N, it'll be fine. I'm making a substantial amount. I know times are getting hard, what with the political climate being factored into this as well...But just believe me, it'll be okay and we'll have it good. Anything else?" He said. God, you loved him.

"Other than I love and I miss you? Nope!" You said. "I can hear your smile, you cutie." He said. "And I can hear you blushing, dear. You say I'm the cute one..." You said, laughing.

Hey there, Delilah

I've got so much left to say

If every simple song I wrote to you

Would take your breath away

I'd write it all

Even more in love with me you'd fall

We'd have it all

"Hey Y/N?" Gio asked. "Yeah?" You responded. "If I were to tell you 90% of the songs I perform are your favorites, what would you do?" "Well, I'd probably fall even more in love with you, if possible at this point. Why?" "Because they are." "Gio...sweetheart...that's probably why you miss me so much, you dumbass!" You laughed. "Yeah, probably." He said, also laughing. You were pretty sure that in a matter of time, You'd have it all.

A thousand miles seems pretty far

But they've got planes and trains and cars

I'd walk to you if I had no other way

Our friends would all make fun of us

And we'd just laugh along because we'd know

That none of them have felt this way

Delilah, I can promise you

That by the time that we get through

The world will never ever be the same

And you're to blame

Whenever Gio made it known that he would do anything, travel however far, you name it- whenever he'd declare he'd do it all for you, your friends and family couldn't help but laugh. You knew it was because none of them have felt this way. You would both just laugh along.

Hey there, Delilah

You be good, and don't you miss me

Two more years and you'll be done with school

And I'll be makin' history like I do

You know it's all because of you

We can do whatever we want to

Hey there, Delilah, here's to you

This one's for you

The last time he called before heading back, you were a mess from being awake almost all night working on something for class. Again. For the second week in a row. "Two more years, babe." He reassured you. "Yayyy..." You droned, quite frankly not giving a fuck if he could hear how exhausted you were. "I'm calling it now-by the time you're done, Aquaria will have made it big. You know why?" Gio said. "Why?" You asked, smiling. "You know it's all because of you." "Gio..." "What? Any succsess I achieve in or out of drag will be because of you." "Not all because of me. You're very talented." "Yeah but you're the reason I have a fire under my ass. Everything I do is for you, Y/N." He said. Five minutes of crying later, you hung up. You woke up at around six a.m with Gio leaning against the bedroom door. "Hey there, Delilah." He said, smirking. "Why?" You asked, referring to the song reference. "Because I can." He said, full on beaming now. "I missed that smile..." You said. "And I missed yours, beautiful." He said. With that, you fell asleep for another three hours, in Gio's arms for the first time in months.