Chapter eight: DETERMINATION

Betty's POV:

My head hurts, and I can't see anything. It's all so blurry. Someone is yelling from the distance and a black dot is holding someone. As I rub my eyes I realise what just happened. Nightmare attacked us from behind and now he is using us to threaten Chara. Nightmare seems pretty calm, Chara is completely stressed out. Any attack from him would be easy to dodge. Frisk is being held by a tentacle, so he can't do anything either. I can't even get up.. so I'm the least suspected person to attack.. but who said I wouldn't? Nightmare is killing Frisk, and after this he will kill Chara as well. Come on Betty.. get up.. My arms hurt, but I manage to stand up straight without anyone noticing. 'Kumu.. where are you..?' A soft sound of wind can be heard. He made his way around the others and is now on top of me. 'Let's hit him.. once..' Akumu seems confused, but I'm not in a shape to fight. The thing is, the only way Chara can fight with so much anger is if Nightmare gets distracted, or else he'd easily see what Chara his attacks would be. As I'm walking trough the snow, Akumu turned into a scythe. Even if I don't hit Nightmare now, he still needs to turn a bit to attack me. That should be enough. Sadly luck isn't with me. A loud crack can be heard as I step on a branch. Nightmare turns around, smiles and drops Frisk. 'Well well well, I thought I knocked you out. You're a persistent one, aren't you?' He grabs my throat with multiple tentacles. 'I suppose this is the only way to get rid of you. Not by choking you, but by ripping your head straight of your head!' Other tentacles start pulling my down, it hurts! 'STOP! P-PLEASE!' This is not what I wanted. Chara has a dead glare. 'Nightmare. Drop her. Now.' He doesn't show any emotions. Nightmare laughs and throws me against a wall. My vision gets blurry again. Frisk runs towards me but before he gets here, my eyes close.

Frisk's POV:

I'm not sure what Betty's plan was, but it failed. Nightmare is fully focused on Chara again and is ready for any attack. He speaks. 'Well? You would defeat me right? I don't see any movement coming out of you, you brick. To thing that you could defeat me. And now there are only two of you!' He laughs, and doesn't stop. This is my chance to get to Chara. As I run to him, a tentacle grabs my leg. 'Chara.. let's make it a fair battle. One person versus another.' He gives me a confused look. 'What do you-' My soul starts to glow as I hold it in my hand. 'Take it.. take the determination..' Chara is now in shock. 'I can't just- what will happen to you?' To be honest, I'm not sure. The last time I did this was with Asriel, and he was able to give me my soul back because he had a vessel and I don't know if Chara has that. 'I'll.. be fine. Grab it, now!' With a quick grab, the soul left my hand. I can see my body being flung away by Nightmare, but I don't feel any pain. Chara was just in time to grab my soul, now let's see what happens with a LV 19 soul. Killing zombies really gave me that much power. Not that I wanted it, but it was self defence. 'Chara.. only you can hear me. Show this creep true power!'

Cross Chara's POV:

'Thank you Frisk..' I can feel strenght flow through my body. Why didn't he use this strenght more? It would've been way easier! He probably didn't want to kill anyone, just like me. Nightmare is an exception though. As I dash towards him, tentacles come my way. 'Chara, go left, right and then jump!' Is Frisk still talking to me? That's useful actually. After dodging the tentacles I slash at Nightmare. He simply jumps back, but the fear in his eyes is enjoyable. 'So much for bad emotions huh?' A frown appears on his face and he grabs me. 'Kid-' Is he scared of my grin? Did he really think he could just grab me? A huge amount of knives spawn in the air as I press the overwrite button. 'Let go.' He throw me away, but I'm able to stop myself by stabbing the ground. 'Thanks for throwing me out of that rain Nightmare, that would've been awful to be in y'know?' All the knives drop, and Nightmare teleports above some, but gets hit by another layer. He drops to the ground and slowly pulls the knives out one by one, but I overwrite them back in. 'Don't move, this ends now. How dare you even touch Frisk and Betty? They were so useful for us and you pushed them aside.' A tentacle shoots at me but I simply cut through it. Nightmare growls as I start to walk on top of him. 'How does it feel? How does it feel to get hurt? TELL ME!' He laughs and looks to the right. 'I don't feel. And your friends were annoying. I warned you kid, time to die!' Frisk is yelling. 'Chara! Behind you!' Another tentacle shoots at me and goes straight for my heart, but as I kill Nightmare, it stops and drops to the floor. 'Well.. I should've listened to you.. I'm sorry. But now we have no way to get through the multiverse!' Frisk laughs softly, it echoes in my head. 'Betty can teleport as well. It will be fine. We need her to wake up before we can go home though.' I can wait. Using so much energy to fight someone makes you tired. 'Do you have any idea how to split bodies again Frisk?' It's silent for a little bit. 'As long as you have an own vessel, you should be able to return my soul to my body by simply grabbing it and putting it next to me.' He sounds nervous. He doesn't know I took an vessel from someone in UnderSwap does he? His soul reacts as I approach his body. 'Are you ready for this?' Frisk hums. The soul slowly sinks into his body and a few seconds later, Frisk sits up. 'I'm glad that worked. What are your plans now? Are you still going after that evil guy from your universe?' I'm pretty sure I have to, or else he will go after me. 'Of course, and with this team, we will surely be able to beat him!'

Ink's POV:

He's.. a lot stronger than I thought. Maybe Nightmare didn't expect Frisk to give his soul to Chara. That's one trick I need to look out for. Luckily I have some Sans' to stop them. Speaking of them, they are waiting for me. We're going on a trip. Not to stop Chara, not yet at least, but to recruit more Sans' from other universes. Then I can't lose a fight against them, and when they lost, they will meet my friend.. XGaster.