Chapter 17

The sound of birds as they called out into the pre-dawn light finally woke me and it took me a while before I realised that Steve and I were entwined around each as we slept in the fragrant hay in the loft. As I stretched my limbs I could feel a tiny ache between my legs, but I wasn't concerned as I had enjoyed myself immensely last night.

Turned on my side I shook Steve to wake him up although before I could say a word a voice called Steve's name from the house below.

"Cap, where are you? Did you see Anna she didn't sleep in her bed last night?" Clint's furious voice echoed around the rafters which caused Steve to jump awake. I took this opportunity to grab my clothes and get changed.

"What time is it?" He sleepily asked as he grabbed my wrist to look at the time, "4.30am. Does that man never sleep?" He remarked before he grabbed his clothes to put them on which gave me an unabashed view of the fine male specimen before me. As he started to descend the ladder he signalled for me to come over and kissed me on the lips, "Morning by the way." He said blushing as he climbed down to ladder while I swung my leg down to follow him.

By the time I got to the bottom of the ladder, I could hear Steve speaking to Clint assuring him that I was fine and he knew where I was. As I crept towards the door I stood on a board which creaked under my foot alerting Clint to my presence. Once he opened the barn door he stared at me in disbelief before he reached up and pulled a piece of hay from my hair. With a raised eyebrow he placed the piece of hay in Steve's hand before he walked back towards the house without saying a word.

"That went well," I said as Steve and I started walking back to the house. Once inside we heard Clint on the phone to Tony.

"Yeah he is co...he is on his way now," Clint said into the phone as he rested his open palm against the back of his head. As Steve approached Clint gave the phone to him before he walked into the kitchen, pulling me with him. As he made sure the door was closed he turned to face me and placed his hand on his hip. "Well?" He asked with a raised eyebrow

"Well, what?" I replied as I grabbed hold of the coffee pot to pour myself and Steve a cup.

"You come out of the barn in yesterday's clothes; both Steve and you have hay in your hair." He smirked at me before continuing, "you do know that I own this house which means I know all the places to disappear to for a little "roll in the hay." He said while I blushed crimson,

"Clint..." Steve ran into the kitchen, "oh good there you are." As he grabbed the second cup he took a drink before he realised that I was blushing and Clint was stood there with his arms crossed. "Do we have a problem here." Clint smiled and shook his head,

"No problem Cap, unless you didn't use protection then we could have a big problem in about nine months." I looked at him with my mouth wide as I tried to think of a comeback while the colour drained out of Steve's face.

"Well, we...um." Steve stood there spluttering as he realised that we didn't use protection. "you see, we uh..." As I shook my head I marched out of the kitchen, anger was clear on my face as I walked outside and sat on the swing. How dare Clint say something like that; he knew that there was the no way I would be able to have kids after what happened back in Missouri. I'd told him and he had to say something like that. Putting my hands over my face I let myself cry for the first time since it had happened; the memories swam up before I could stop them. The night my mama disowned me.

"It's just a party mama." I twirled in my summer dress while I stared at my reflection in the mirror. At fifteen years old I had been invited to the party at Spalding beach by the popular kids in school. This was a big thing as I had been classed as unpopular for years until I had helped Travis Han with his English homework. Now the popular kids spoke to me and let me hang with them.