Chapter 20

Clint was correct in his assumption that Tony had a secret lab in Nevada. Currently, Steve, Clint, Nat, and Tony were sat in a makeshift waiting room while the doctors performed tests on Anna to see why she became sick.

The four of them really hoped it was just a normal sickness but the timeline of when Jarvis had found out where she was and then she got sick the same day was too much of a coincidence.

"Jarvis is running diagnostics to see if anyone else accessed his mainframe. If we have a mole in the company we will find them." Tony said as he paced the waiting room floor. Truth be told he had seen Anna when they had bought her in from the QuinJet and if he hadn't seen her chest rising with his own eyes he would've believed that they were bringing a corpse in.

As he paced the floor for what seemed like the hundredth time the elderly doctor who had been working in this facility for him had walked out and was approaching them. As he was the first person to see him he changed his pacing to meet the doctor before he even entered the waiting room.

Seeing the abrupt change in his pace Steve looked up and saw Tony as he approached the doctor. While they were talking he led the doctor to where Steve had stood up after he slapped Clint on the arm to indicate someone was there.

"Captain Rogers. A pleasure to meet you." The doctor, whose name tag said Judge, shook his hand. "I have to say you bought Anna in just in time. Any longer and she wouldn't be with us."

"Why is she so sick Doc?" He asked as the doctor picked up his clipboard to read through the doctors scrawl on the paper.

"Well preliminary tests showed a substantial decrease in her white blood cells. Usually when the body fights some sort of infection the white cell count increases, however, there is something killing off her white blood cells." Tony took the clipboard from him and flicked through the paperwork,

"Judge, is this correct?" He said pointing to a bit of writing on the page.

"That is correct." The doctor turned back to Steve and clasped his hands in front of him, "Captain your friend has what appears to be an anti-serum in her body. So unlike what you were injected with back in the forties, the effects of this one cause the body to weaken and eventually without treatment would have led to death." As the doctor took his clipboard back off Tony he turned to the entire group.

"What treatment options do we have?" Clint asked as he stood next to Steve.

"Well, we need to increase the white blood cells in her body. Usually, we would inject a virus into her system for the white blood cells to increase on their own. However we tried that and she just got sicker, so we put her into a medically induced coma until we can come up with something that will work." Tony reclaimed the clipboard much to the doctors' annoyance.

"What about using blood that already has the serum in?" He said as he pointedly looked at Steve,

"Would that work?" Steve asked although he knew that if that was the only way to save Anna he would do it.

"It may do, but we would need to do some tests first." The doctor said before once again he reclaimed his clipboard and walked off back towards the double doors that led into the hospital rooms with Tony hot on his heels. He turned and indicated that Steve should follow him.

**

As Steve sat on the chair he turned away as the nurse inserted a needle into his vein. While he was ok with a few things he had never really got over his fear of needles. But if this worked and saved Anna then he would do whatever it took.

"Relax Captain Rogers." The nurse said as she began to draw blood into a tiny vial. "If this works we can save your girlfriend." She said as she tapped him on the arm once the vial was full. Removing the vial she made sure the needle was secure on his arm with micropore.