~41~

You and Christian Yelich had a rivalry that neither of you could explain. You had grown up in the same town and went to high school together. He was on the baseball team while you were focused on academics, so it was safe to say neither of you were ever in the same crowd.

This was the reality until you started your first day on the job working as a representative for the Milwaukee Brewers, which was coincidentally the same day Christian signed with the team.

You and Christian would pass each other in the hall occasionally without saying a word or acknowledging each other, but you both knew each other's identities.

This carried on until the two of you both needed to use the only working elevator. After repeatedly pressing the up button, the doors to the lift finally opened, revealing a tired looking brunette.

You stepped inside, pressing the button for the floor that you needed to go to and moved to the side of the elevator opposite of Christian.

Everything was going smoothly until the entire floor shook and one of the light bulbs flickered. It felt as though there was an earthquake.

You and Christian both reached out to the railing on the sides of the small room to brace yourselves. However, you couldn't help but be thrown into Yelich's chest when his side of the elevator dropped, leaving the room slanted.

After the shaking had stopped and the lights stopped flickering, you heard Christian's voice for the first time since high school.

"(Y/N), are you ok?" He asked, looking at you concerned.

"Yeah, I think so. What about you?" You return the question while straightening your now wrinkled yellow skirt.

"I'm fine." He replied while trying to pry the doors of the elevator open.

He could barely move the doors an inch even though he was using all of his strength. "Well," He started while taking a step away from the doors and looking at you, "it looks like we'll be here for a while."

You gave him a soft forced smile while sitting on the floor and making yourself comfortable. He took a seat next to you.

"I can't believe we haven't talked since high school." He stated, playing with his shoelaces.

"Yeah, I honestly thought you forgot who I was." You replied with a chuckle.

"I could never." He said.

After a few seconds of awkward silence, he spoke again. "You know, I had the biggest crush on you during junior year."

You chuckled to distract from your unavoidable smile and the redness on your cheeks.

"I thought you hated me." You replied.

Christian looked at you in disbelief. "That's the furthest thing from the truth."

"We never talked to each other and the baseball team always made fun of me." You defended while digging in your purse for your phone.

"Alright," He began, "let me make it up to you by buying you dinner tomorrow night."

"What?" You look at him blankly.

"Well, I mean only if you want to-" You completely cut him off.

"Yeah, I'd like that."