24. eviction notice

Ana knew what was in store when she planted her feet in front of Jeremy's apartment door. She could smell the stench of vomit and beer pouring from the crack between the door and the floor. She heard a paper crunch beneath the feet and she reached down to find a bright red eviction notice. Ana held it tightly in her fist.

She hesitated to knock, afraid of the man she'd face. But, she was already here and she couldn't leave him like this.

Ana knocked sternly, thrice. Her heartbeat ten times before she heard someone stumble around inside. The door slowly creaked open and there he was.

Black and blue bags hung low beneath his eye sockets, which held bloodshot pupils dilated with a hungover and drunk mix in his system. Jeremy wore a pair of sweatpants and no shirt, white socks lazily pulled over his feet. In his shaking hand was a beer, half empty. His hair was tousled like he'd just woke and hadn't showered in a few weeks.

A ghastly grin reached his cheeks when his mind registered who was in front of him.

"It is my lucky day or am I dreaming?" He tipped his beer towards her, as if he was toasting her presence.

Ana frowned deeply at him, shoving the eviction notice into his chest which pushed him back. She entered his apartment with crossed arms.

"You are so fucking pathetic, Jeremy," Ana glanced around his apartment as he read the crumpled paper.

"All because of you, Ms. Devit."

Ana scoffed with a roll of her eyes, "Can your eyes read properly or have you drunk yourself blind?"

Jeremy whistled at her sarcastic rhetorics, "Someone's feeling feisty today."

Ana huffed once again, "Jeremy, this is serious, you need to stop being so careless. I mean, look at yourself, look at your apartment. Look at that paper!"

Jeremy's expression turned serious, "I can read, Ana, I'm not that drunk. The puke smell is only because of my plumbing being broken."

"And the beer? The greasy, bad guy look?"

"I haven't showered because my plumbing is broken. I'm drinking because of my bills, which is what any normal person will do."

"But the eviction notice-"

"I don't have a job, therefore, I don't have any money. In conclusion, I'm getting kicked out." Jeremy plopped down at his kitchen island, the beer clinking as he set it down on the counter. He placed his head in hands, and his shoulders visibly started shaking.

Ana felt horrible suddenly. She stood there for a moment, uncomfortable with a tensed up position. She heard him sniffle and broke her stern attitude.

"Hey," Ana nudged Jeremy and he sat up slightly. She hugged him tightly around his neck and he hesitated before cradling her waist. "I'm sorry for coming over like this. I'm sorry for everything that's happening, too."

"No, no," Jeremy leaned back to see Ana's face, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for using you like some object. It was rude of-"

"Jeremy, we agreed on the whole friends with benefits thing, you don't have to apologize. I won't accept it," Ana insisted. "I will, however, accept an apology for your bad attitude during the entire situation. You could have been a little nicer."

Jeremy pulled completely away from him, smiling lightly.

"There's that smile," Ana pinched his cheek.

He blushed, "I apologize."

"I accept your apology." Ana nodded, "Now how about you come use my shower. Laura's at work and Ben is our meeting with his manager. Which, speaking of managers, I think you should call yours first thing tomorrow and look into getting yourself some auditions. Okay?"

"Thanks, Ana," Jeremy stood up and hugged her once again.

"You're welcome."

"So, you and Ben, are you guys super serious?" Jeremy pushed his food around his plate, glancing up at Ana.

She took a sip of her coffee, "Huh? Oh, I don't know. I mean, I guess?"

"You don't sound too sure," Jeremy quirked a brow at her.

"It's just," Ana set down her fork and leaned back in her chair, "he's so uptight. He's affectionate and sweet, but he's no fun. Too, too perfect and restricted. I loved being his friend, but I don't like being in a relationship with him."

Jeremy nodded, "Break up with him."

"Huh?" Ana met Jeremys eye, "no, I couldn't do that to him."

"What?" Jeremy laughed, "why?"

"He's too sweet, didn't you hear me?"

"Yeah, so? If you're not happy, just break up with him."

"No," Ana seemed to reassure Jeremy and herself, "I can't. No. Plus, it would totally ruin our friendship."

Jeremy shrugged in response, forming some cake into his mouth. He chewed and swallowed before continuing, "Do you think Ben hates me now?"

"What?" Ana set her coffee cup down.

"I think he does. I tried to text him and it said that he blocked my number," Jeremy seemed as he were about to cry.

So, Ana grasped his hand across the table, "No, no he doesn't hate you. You're his best friend, Jer. He's just angry, ya know? You did go off the map for a long while."

Jeremy looked so small, with still sunken eyes and drowned out by the bags. When he smiled, it still didn't seem genuine, and he moved as if someone had completely torn away any confidence he had.

"Jer, I'll talk to him, okay?" Ana squeezed his fingers until she felt him return the gesture.

"Okay," Jeremy's eyes lifted to hers, "Thank you, Ana."