Exploring Diagon Alley

"Come on, Merlin!"

Silas raced ahead of him, his hazel eyes bright and excited. Merlin resisted the urge to roll his eyes and increased his pace, not wanting to lose sight of him. He had a pretty good idea of where Silas was taking him and—sure enough—he found Silas with his nose pressed against the glass of the Quidditch Supply Shop.

Since Silas had officially become part of the magical community—except in receiving his letter from Hogwarts, which Florean assured him would happen next year—he had become particularly interested in Quidditch. Merlin had secretly hoped that maybe his story of being impaled by an exploding broomstick would put him off the idea. No such luck.

"The new model's out!" Silas exclaimed and he turned to look at Merlin behind him. "Look!"

"Yup, I see it." Merlin didn't bother getting closer though. Silas sighed heavily and turned back to the sleek black brooms on display. The plaque beside them identified the model as a Nimbus 2001, the newest racing broom on the market.

"Pretty."

"Pretty?" Silas shook his head. "No, this is powerful and beautiful and—"

"Probably worth your Christmas and Birthday present combined."

"Meh, it'd be worth it."

Merlin raised an eyebrow. "For two years."

"Still worth it."

"Do my ears deceive me?" came a loud drawling voice behind Merlin. "Does your brother actually appreciate Quidditch?"

Merlin turned, and a grin slid across his face as he saw his friend standing there. It'd only been a week since he'd last seen Draco Malfoy, but he already felt as if the blond had grown in height. And though he held himself in the same aristocratic manner as the first time they had met, there was something kinder in his grey eyes now. He had just walked out of the supply shop.

"My mother is discussing prices with the owner," he continued with a shrug.

"Oh, are you buying one?" Merlin asked, nodding toward the Nimbus 2001 in the display case.

Draco smirked, "Why, you jealous?"

"I am." Silas frowned. "Florean would never get me one."

"Oh right," Merlin turned to Silas. "I don't think you've actually met. This is Draco Malfoy and—"

"Your brother Silas, I figured that out on my own," Draco smirked again and gave Silas a long appraising look. "Which Quidditch team is your favourite?"

"Puddlemere United," he replied at once.

"You're okay," Draco said and he smiled. "At least someone understands," and he gave a pointed look at Merlin.

"Someone was impaled by a broomstick shaft."

Draco flinched but was saved from responding because Silas asked, "So are you going to try out for the school team?"

"Yes."

"Oh really?" Merlin blinked. "You want to be in the middle of that?" He could remember watching the games last year. "Fancy a bludger to the head?"

"Stop it, Merlin," Silas grumbled. "What position do you play?" he asked Draco and he took a step in front of Merlin as though worried he would interrupt him again.

"Seeker." Draco beamed at him. "Let me guess, you can't have a single conversation about it with this guy," and he nodded at Merlin again.

"It's awful," Silas groaned, making Draco laugh.