You're Too Close

"Did you really mean it?" Draco swallowed, wondering if he even dared allow himself the luxury of hope. "I can go for ice cream with Merlin next week?"

His mother didn't answer immediately, keeping her gaze fixed on their approach to Malfoy Manor. He considered that a good sign—she would've wasted no time in declaring otherwise. It wasn't the first time a Malfoy had lied in the name of public image. Even if his parents didn't agree with Merlin, the boy had been thrown into the media spotlight and they'd maintain, if not friendly, at least polite terms with the boy.

But they didn't like him.

Merlin had declared himself an advocate of the light, an enemy of the Dark Lord and a Muggle-lover. The fact that Draco, therefore, chose to associate with him—well, his father wasn't pleased. Lucius had already threatened to transfer him to Durmstrang twice and was only prevented from doing so by his mother. Not that she approved of their relationship either—

"Is your friendship with Merlin so important that you would risk our family losing favour with the Dark Lord?"

Draco gaped at her. She was rarely so blunt. "I—" he faltered.

"He has already defied the Dark Lord once," his mother continued, casting him a glance. "Standing in his way will not end favourably for us—particularly for your father."

"You were the one who said I should keep an eye on him," he shot, frowning as he recalled the trip to Diagon Alley last year. It felt impossibly long ago now. So much had changed. "Father said he'd never heard of a Whomping Willow wand."

"That was before he allied himself with Dumbledore and the rest of them."

"Don't—" Draco took a deep breath, choosing his words carefully. "Don't you think it might be better to stay close to him because of that? What's that phrase?" He sneered. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

"You're too close, Draco."

But she didn't sound angry. Her shoulders dropped in exhaustion and he heard her sigh softly beside him. Draco didn't speak. He knew that although she spoke of loyalty to the Dark Lord, she had never truly wanted him to go down that path. He had seen it in her eyes, the way her jaw clenched when his father mentioned some of his more radical purist ideals. No—she was terrified. His mother wanted him to be safe.

Well, he certainly felt safer with Merlin.

His parents didn't know everything. They didn't know that Merlin had single-handedly killed a troll. They didn't know the sheer amount of raw power that the boy possessed, and Draco had a feeling that once they knew they would be more supportive. They might not agree with Merlin's muggle-loving ideas, but they wouldn't risk antagonizing power.

"Will you attend the evidence hearing with father?" he asked as they scaled the steps of the manor.

"If I can."

Draco nodded. "And—" He didn't need to finish.

"I'm sorry, but you may not attend. Your father is a school governor and his presence, although not a necessity, is recommended due to the nature of the case." She opened the doors with a wave of her hand and strode inside.

"Oh, good."

She turned back to him, raising one of her pencilled eyebrows.

Draco shrugged, "He might understand, that's all."

Merlin deserves his loyalty more than the Dark Lord.

"I see." She appraised him for a moment before turning away. "So, about those purchasing those brooms—"