The Prophecy

Merlin held a private meeting with the Founders, informing them of his intention to leave his post at Hogwarts. He had business elsewhere, though he would welcome what help they could provide. He had a dream of a magical society, a Ministry of Magic—if you will. The persecution was not going to end and was forcing them all into secrecy anyway. They should all remove themselves from the equation, and one day—everyone would forget that dragons had ever flown through the skies.

The resentment against muggles, as they began to be called, did not belong only to Morgana and Salazar. After all, if the muggles were intent on murdering them all what was the point in playing nice? To counteract the sudden rise in anti-muggle crimes, Merlin created an organization in his name to promote Muggle Rights and a list of rules in regards to them. In a nutshell—do not hurt these ignorant children that act out blindly and irrationally, instead wipe their memory and disappear. It's easier, it's faster, it's kinder and it stops the cycle.

Salazar saw what Merlin was attempting to do, and though he didn't agree with what he called "muggle loving," he agreed with the idea of a magical society. However, the very idea infuriated Morgana. She saw it as going a step backwards rather than forwards. She didn't want to hide anymore. She saw the entire world as hers for the taking, and wouldn't rest until she took it.

Then Godric heard a prophecy. It was an echo of the Old Religion, drifting backwards in time, declaring that a descendant of Slytherin would break the laws of the earth in pursuit of power and immortality. It warned of a great cataclysm should they succeed, one that may destroy the very society they were endeavouring to create.

After years of careful scrying and research, Rowena found the moment in time when Salazar's heir would rebuild the pendulum they were working to destroy and the chaos that would unfold after. Godric insisted it was their responsibility to stop such a tragedy, and Merlin agreed. It felt only right to defend his creation, but such an insane plan would require all their power and even then—Merlin was the only one likely to survive the trip and the toll it would take.

It was Rowena who suggested regressing his age, as it would allow for a better chance of success due to the chaotic nature of the magic they were about to invoke. With his magic trapped within a smaller container as it were, it would leak out and provide a type of buffer, not to mention there was no telling if their calculations were perfect and how long it would take to resolve the issue.

"And you will probably need to learn a different language, not to mention all that history and the technological changes! An adult asking such questions would be met with suspicion, and if there is a robust Magical Society they will question your... lack of history," Rowena had explained, running through the sheer number of issues Merlin would have to contend with.

"Why does he not just reveal he's Merlin?" Godric suggested. "Surely they would follow his words then!"

"Well, there goes the element of surprise," Merlin said with a soft laugh.

Rowena nodded, "Yes, exactly—Merlin will already be at a huge disadvantage, going in essentially blind. If this Heir of Slytherin doesn't know he's coming, he'll stand a much better chance. And there's no way to be certain that our names are even remembered some thousand years from now."

"What are you talking about, we have Hogwarts! Of course, we'll be remembered."

"I'm not saying it's likely, but we have to operate under the worst-case scenario. What if two hundred years from now Hogwarts is burned to the ground and all memory of us wiped from the earth?"

"Fine," Godric conceded. "So we're sending the most powerful warlock in the disguise of a boy, hoping he'll figure out enough and eliminate this threat before this Heir of Slytherin realizes what's going on?"

"In a manner."

Merlin clapped his hands together. "Well, best get to it!"

To no one's surprise, Morgana learned of the prophecy and made it her mission to stop their interference

To no one's surprise, Morgana learned of the prophecy and made it her mission to stop their interference. She didn't know the scope of what they planned to do, but that didn't matter to her. She even ignored Salazar who told her to let them do what they wanted. They would change the future in the here and now—if Godric wanted to fight for some mirage in crystals, so be it. He warned her not to harm Merlin, least she risk his ire.

But as the three founders and Merlin began the ritual, Morgana attacked.

She was careful not to harm Merlin. She hit him instead with a powerful memory curse so that he would be left struggling and aimless wherever the magic took him and unable to complete his task. She timed it perfectly so it hit him seconds before the portal swallowed him up.

She had escaped with her life, and the remaining founders were left to fret if they would be successful. In a spur of rage, Godric informed Salazar what Morgana had done, accusing him of betraying his friend—so much for Slytherin loyalty.

Morgana was unprepared for the fury of Salazar. They fought, and as he brandished his wand he roared that it was only because Merlin lived that he did not tear her limb from limb, but he had no patience for someone who went behind his back. He sent her away, not knowing she carried a child, and Morgana left with a promise on her lips that if he wouldn't secure his legacy—she would.

She nurtured her descendants with hate for muggles and mudbloods alike—those who came from no magic heritage, telling a tale of a different kind of Salazar Slytherin and the noble work that they would accomplish.