Slytherin Leaves Hogwarts

But the news that Camelot had vanished began to spread, and the neighbouring kingdoms grew increasingly nervous. Salazar and Godric would argue the matter over dinner. Godric wanted to expand the students, which would calm the concerns of non-magic people, and allow everyone to see that there was nothing evil or wrong with magic itself, just the people who wielded it.

Salazar did not want to admit the children of people he knew had prosecuted them under King Uther's rule. Those who had burned loved ones at the stake and received no criminal charge because it was under a different King. He argued it was only a matter of time before the persecution returned in full force—the Christian church had been steadily growing in strength these last few decades in England, and they had already begun to condemn what they called, Devil Worship. All magic was evil in their eyes, and Kings had no patience for dissonant thought.

"We should only take those from magical backgrounds," Salazar argued. "These peasants have no appreciation for our lifestyle, and they'll turn on us again—mark my words."

Helga agreed with Godric, willing to accept even those with limited magical ability. "Herbs and animals don't even need you to wave a wand at it," she reasoned with a shrug.

Rowena remained impartial in regards to the entire matter until one evening had Godric and Salazar in a blazing row in front of the entire school. Godric had discovered a new student, with no history of magic in any of their family, and from a devoutly Christian town. They had the gift, there was no denying the red sparkes that showered above their head with the wand in hand, but Salazar was livid—Godric should have consulted all of them about this, who even was this person?

"Enough!" Rowena shouted, her thick Scottish accent silencing them all. "Godric, you can't just go out and kidnap people."

"It's not kidnapping if they're willing!"

"And Salazar!" Rowena went on, ignoring Godric's outburst. "You can't just lump all the non-magic folk together. I could easily have held a grudge against all of England for what they've done to my kinsmen, but you don't see me kicking them out the door for something their grandfather's uncle once did!"

"I'm well aware of my prejudices, Rowena," Salazar replied, his voice like rumbling thunder. "But this is one line I will not cross. You speak as if this is ancient history. It's not. These monsters are actively persecuting my people, or did you forget what happens when a Christian mongrel sniffs out a druid encampment?"

"But this person hasn't done any of that! You're holding them responsible for the actions of—"

"A few bad examples?" Salazar finished with a snarl. "Yeah, that's how it works when there's an us versus them—we run around in circles, swinging the pendulum back and forth until we knock the other from orbit. Believe me when I say that they're not just going to accept that they left to learn magic of their own accord. They will spread rumours that their people are being bewitched and that warlocks are waiting in the woods to trick them into selling their soul to some demon or another—do not patronize me, Rowena. Looking for students among our oppressors will not end favourably for us."

"We should be better than them!" Godric roared back, throwing his hands into the air. "We shouldn't sink to their level! If I had left Anne back there, confused about what she can do and what she is—they would have burned her at the stake like all the rest!"

"Ah, yes—the higher horse argument. It only benefits them!"

"A witch is a witch—is a witch!" Godric yelled. "Who cares where they began?"

"I do!" Salazar shouted back. "I can see we're never going to agree on this so I'm going to make this very simple. If you insist on bringing these types of people here to be your students, I will leave Hogwarts."