Tension in Slytherin

Yellow, orange, flickering red—brown igniting, smouldering, black into off-white dust. Maybe if Merlin focused hard enough on that log turning into charcoal, a solution would present itself. Maybe his headache would finally vanish. Draco sat on the armchair next to him, eyes closed. Merlin might've thought he was asleep if not for the way he'd periodically shake his head—"He knew this was going to happen,"—and grimace—"I don't know. But I'm going to find out."

But if Lucius had known the Chamber of Secrets would open again, that only meant one thing: Lord Voldemort was somehow involved.

As if he didn't have enough to worry about.

By the time he and Draco had reached the common room, word had spread: Merlin was a Parselmouth and he had attacked Mrs Norris. His head still pounding, he had left Draco to explain as he'd made a beeline for the fireplace. Not that any explaining had occurred. Instead, Draco had informed them that Snape would be along shortly to answer their questions and had gone to join Merlin. Now was the waiting game, and the whispers had finally died with time.

Merlin heard the telltale sound of rock grating against rock and turned with the rest of Slytherin to watch as the stone passage opened, and Snape strode inside. He glanced once around the room, no doubt able to discern that the entirety of Slytherin was present. He cleared his throat.

"As you have already heard, someone wrote a threatening message on the wall of the second-floor corridor. The culprit, whoever it is," he added meaningfully, "also petrified Filtch's cat."

He paused, and his eyes flickered to Merlin along with the rest of Slytherin. "The Headmaster has personally listened to Merlin and Draco's account of events, and has decided he was in no way involved with this distasteful prank despite his... abilities."

Prank? Merlin exchanged a perplexed look with Draco. Snape knew full well that it wasn't a prank. Why would they disregard something so dangerous? Merlin frowned, but Snape caught his eye—a silent warning not to interrupt him.

"If you aren't already aware, the Chamber of Secrets is a reference to an old Slytherin legend," Snape continued, his lip curling. "One that, given the circumstances, you ought to be aware of." He looked as though he'd swallowed something sour.

"Not long after Hogwarts was founded, Salazar Slytherin expressed his desire to be more selective about who they admitted to the school. He believed that magical learning should be reserved only for those of magical parentage, purebloods in essence. The other founders disagreed and as a result, Salazar Slytherin left the school. According to this legend," Snape said with a hint of scepticism, "Salazar Slytherin had built a secret chamber somewhere within the school. Before departing, he sealed it so that only his heir would be able to open it and purge the school of muggleborns. Meaning," Snape said carefully, "as of this moment, you are the prime suspect."

At that, there was a cry of protest. Snape held up his hand and the noise died, but Merlin could tell from the look on everyone's face that it was a tongue-biting type of quiet.

"The sooner the culprit steps forward," Snape said icily, "the sooner this whole mess can be swept under the rug. As no one was irreparably hurt, I can assure minimal punishment—I doubt any of the other professors would offer such a thing." Snape swept his gaze over the room again and when his black eyes settled on Merlin, he seemed to hesitate. "Which...is what I have been instructed to tell you."

There was a shift as surprise rippled through the room.

"I do not believe any of my students would be foolish enough to play such a prank," Snape said. "But, I do not expect the other Heads to tell their students the same, and I don't think I need to tell you how self-righteous the Gryffindors can be—" There was a scattered hum of acknowledgement, "—and our vilified reputation, not to mention the reality of this situation, will do little to persuade them otherwise. It is important, now more than ever, for Slytherins to look out for each other—because no one else will."