The Story of Merlin

The next five chapters all refer to the tale Merlin and the Mosaic of Salazar Slytherin tell to Hermione, Draco, Ginny, Fred and George. What follows is a biography of Merlin, a proposed history of Hogwarts, and the events that led to his arrival in the future.

Not long before Merlin was born, King Uther Pendragon declared that all magic was evil and began a vendetta to rid his Kingdom of all who practised such things

Not long before Merlin was born, King Uther Pendragon declared that all magic was evil and began a vendetta to rid his Kingdom of all who practised such things. He blamed magic for the death of his Queen, Ygraine de Bois. Uther had gone to the sorceress Nimueh for help because Ygraine could not have children, but life magic is ancient and old and a life must be given for one in return.

Grief-stricken after Ygraine died in childbirth, King Uther began the Great Purge. He used Balinor, the last living Dragon Lord to capture the ancient Kilgharrah before turning on him and ordering his execution. Balinor fled to Ealdor, a village in the lands of Essetir. He fell in love with a woman, Hunith, but their joy was short-lived for Uther pursued him even there and he was forced to flee again, not knowing his wife was with child.

Merlin grew up an outsider within Ealdor. His magic was powerful even in his youth, and though some accepted his nature most viewed him with caution. Hunith did her best and eventually decided to send Merlin to her brother Gaius, the Court Physician in Camelot, as an apprentice. He had been a friend to Balinor as well and was the only person she could think of who might be able to help Merlin learn to control his magic.

From the moment Merlin arrived in Camelot he was forced to hide his true nature, or face the pyre. But even though he needed to keep his head down, avoid the eyes of everyone—especially the King—he picked a fight with the young prince and ultimately, saved his life. In gratitude, King Uther gave Merlin a place in the royal household as Prince Arthur's manservant. Merlin found the dragon Kilgharrah imprisoned beneath the castle and learned of a prophecy that declared Arthur would one day return magic to the land. For years, he struggled to hide all while protecting Arthur in the hope that when he assumed the throne, things would change.

What was Arthur like, you may ask? Well, in the beginning, Merlin thought him an entitled prat. Brazen, spoiled, with little regard for the feelings of others, but good in a fight. So, when Arthur risked his life to retrieve an antidote for Merlin, ignoring the command of his father for a mere manservant, Merlin saw the future king for what he could be. Arthur Pendragon was brave, impulsive, and kind with a steadfast determination to do right by him and by his people, damn the consequences. He fell in love with the handmaiden of Morgana, Guinevere, going against his father's wishes and royal custom. He was willing to listen and even speak in defence of the peaceful druids in opposition to King Uther's cruelty.

And Merlin loved him for it.