Chapter 9

Karen wrapped her arm proudly around her son's as they entered the art gallery. She sucked in her breath savouring the moment. It was her favourite place in the world, surrounded by art and paintings. She tried to compose herself having Kim with her. She wondered why she never took him anywhere before, he looked dashing in his black suit and deep blue shirt she bought her husband, Ken but never gave it to him. It's not like he gave her anything except for Kim. He gave her him and he was so worth it. Karen looked down at her glittery long dress and hoped she looked her best.

She spotted Caroline who left her conversation with a group of people and approached them. She shrieked and hugged Karen.

"You came" she let out excited "I am so thrilled you did" she glanced at Kim "And you brought a gorgeous young date with"

Kim blushed instantly and Karen proudly wrapped her arm tighter around his.

"This is Kim"

Caroline hugged him.

"Wow, you were so little when I last saw you" she glanced at Karen "You did a great job raising such a broody young man"

Karen glanced at Kim still blushing and feeling chuffed.

"Come, I want you to meet publishers who can help you finish your book too"

Caroline dragged Karen off who glanced back at Kim but he nodded encouraging her to go.

As Karen was talking to Caroline's publishers she was glancing at Kim now and then browsing at the paintings and she could not help wondering if she did such a good job like Caroline mentioned. If she did, her beautiful son would not have tried to take his own life would he have? If she lost him, if he succeeded she did not think she could go on with her life without him. She spent the nights with him sleeping on a chair at his side as he was fighting for his life in his hospital bed and she wondered if he was really fighting.

She promised a lot of things to herself and silently to him. She promised to let certain things go, one of them being Ken. She worked so hard trying ignore the fact that her marriage was failing at the same time she neglected her son. She realized she'd rather live alone than with someone who did not want to be with her.

She pretended not to hear Ken talking to his mistress just as much as he pretended that he was not talking to her and as Karen watched him during their son's ordeal she made up her mind and she did not confront him on his whereabouts and actions anymore. He tried to explain on a few occasions but because she seemed uninterested he stopped talking to her altogether. His silence was miraculously welcomed as was his absence when he left it was like an uncertain weight she did not know she carried around was lifted from her shoulders. She focused all her attention on Kim and promised to spend more time with him, to get to know him again and be there for him. It was just going to be the two of them from then on.