Chapter 8

*Your P.O.V. (Graduation day)*

"From today you will no longer be soldiers-in-training. You have three choices: The Garrison Regiment, where you'll be protecting cities, and working to reinforce the walls. The Scout Regiment, where you must be prepared to take on the Titans outside the walls. And the Military Police, where you will protect the people and preserve order at the side of the king. Naturally, the only ones who can join the Military Police are the top ten scorers who were announced earlier!" The man shouted, I could feel the determined auras from everyone around me.

Essentially just bump everyone down one spot, you're #1! *time skip to after the ceremony*

I sighed while drinking some water, observing everyone around me talk about which regiment they're going to be joining. I stood in a group with Eren, Armin, Mikasa, and some other soldiers. "You're really going to turn your back on the MP for scouts?" One boy asked, his friend questioning the same thing.

"The scouts have always been my goal. I don't want the easy life, not with all the work I've put in. I trained to fight titans." Eren responded smoothly, I could feel the tension start to rise as the boy shouted "are you insane?!"

Everyone quickly became quiet and stared at us, a nervous feeling waving over me. The blond boy looked around before looking down embarrassed.

"How many people have died? We're talking a fifth of the population! If that doesn't paint a picture for you then I don't know what will. This is our life now, we can't beat them."

Everyone continued to stare, however some appeared to look down in fear and sadness. I looked at my feet, remembering that day in Shiganshina.

"So what? That means we buckle and take it all lying down? Things have changed, maybe not a lot but still enough. They aren't the mystery they were five years ago, and there's still a long way to go but we've made progress. Every battle we lost taught us a lesson, gave us the tiniest inroad towards something like hope. And you're telling me it's better to cut our losses? To let all the death and destruction be meaningless? Just to ball up and accept it? Not on your life! Humanity's future lies outside the walls, and I'm determined to clear the way! I'm going to take back what was ours and drive them out! And as long as at least one of us can say that, we're not done."

Everyone stared as Eren yelled, tears forming in his eyes as he balled his fist. But he's right about everything.

I watched as Eren ran out of the mess hall, different emotions all over him. "Eren wait!" Armin and I shouted, the two of us along with Mikasa running after him.

"Are you okay?" I asked as we all approached him, only getting a nod as he wiped his eyes. "That was quite the speech you gave us back there." Armin commented while looking at the ground. "Yeah. Most of it was yours actually, all that stuff you used to say back in the day." Eren responded, having a slight smile on his face now as we all sat on the stairs with him.

"Yeah well I'm joining the Scout Regiment too!"

"A-Armin! Now you're just being stupid. Come on, you're not a fighter your life is with books!" I exclaimed, shock coming over our faces. "I'm through with letting other people fight for me." Armin responded bluntly, a determined look in his eyes.

I sighed in acceptance, patting Armin on the back. "Guess it's the Scouts for me too, then." Mikasa added calmly, sitting one step above Eren. He tried to argue that she shouldn't do it, but alas Mikasa was set on joining the scouts to protect Eren.

Mikasa stood back up from sitting and brushed herself off before walking back towards the mess hall. "H-Hey wait up Mikasa! We'll talk more in a few you two!" Armin shouted before running after Mikasa, briefly talking to me and Eren.