prologue

I ran as fast as I could towards the building to my right. My best friend Brook ran behind me.

"come on faster or we're not gonna make it!"

"I can't go faster!"

When we arrived at the building we ran upstairs to open a chest, but before I opened it I heard a vague voice screaming my name.

"Piper!"

"wait a second" I said while taking of my headphones.

"what?!"

"your dad and I are going to your grandmas house, there's money on the table if you wanna order pizza or something."

"okay bye mo-" the door shut before I could finish my sentence so I rolled my eyes.

"all right where were we?"

Another duo ran out of the storm and shot us in the back, we both died.

"I fucking hate this game" Brook yelled through her microphone.

"why don't you come over? we can go shopping or something" I suggested

She agreed and came over, she lives on the other side of the street so we see each other a lot. Honestly it feels like her family is my family as well. My parents are away a lot and I'm an only child so usually I'm home alone.

After two minutes or something the doorbell rang. I quickly grabbed my fanny pack and keys and opened the door.

"hey girl" Brook said while I walked out of my house and locked it.

"hey"

"I heard that there was a market next to the library with food and clothes and stuff" Brook said.

"well let's go then?"

She nodded and together we walked to the city mall, we life nearby so we arrived there pretty quickly.

We walked through the streets with stores and saw the market in the distance.

"can you wait here? I'm gonna withdraw some money at the bank over there" I said while pointing in the directions of the bank.

Brook nodded and I quickly walked towards the other side of the street and to the ATM.

"out of order, dammit" I whispered to myself.

I walked inside and used the ATM there.

When I was done I put my purse with the money back in my fanny pack while I walked back outside. Right before I reached the door a guy with a balaclava and a gun pushed the door open before me.

"everybody on the ground NOW!"

I immediately laid down with my hands behind my head.

"not you, you can stand up" he said while pointing his gun towards me.

I followed his commands and stood up next to him. For some reason I wasn't scared at all.  I looked into his eyes, they were hazel greenish.

"what's your name?" he asked through all the screaming people.

"Piper"

"nice to meet you Piper, I'm Noel"