Something You Just Can't Hide

>Mack's POV<

"KYLA!!"

"Kyla where are you?!"

"Kyla!!!"

This was the second time Kyla had taken off running and hid from us. It didn't use to happen, but now it does. I thought it could've been because Brax, but something in my gut tells me its not. I wanted to help, and so did the rest of us, but she wouldn't let us help her.

"Kyla what's wrong?!"

I shook my head, there was no point in trying to find her. She didn't want to be found.

"Guys there's no point, she's never coming out from her hiding spot. She probably isn't even anywhere near us!!"

They all looked at me, somewhat pissed of what I just said. It was true though! We were just standing around in the middle of the woods yelling out her name trying to look for her when we knew all along she wouldn't come out!

"You can just give up, but we're not going to"

Emily and Brax went back to looking, but Jaz looked at me. She knew I was right.

"Guys stop. Mack's right. She's not going to come out for a while, and she probably doesn't even want to be found. I used to do this a lot, and I hated it when people came looking for me-"

"And if she wants to be found?"

"There is a 90% chance she doesn't want to be found.."

Brax looked at Emily, and she finally gave up before walking out of the woods clearly pissed. Brax followed after her, and with us tagging a couple feet behind. I sensed movement along the earth, but I shook it away and kept moving. Just a squirrel.

...

To:WhitneyLovesYou@yahoo.com

From:MackLovesPizza@hotmail.com

Ugh. Don't get me started on the whole thing. They don't want to be your friends, they're using you so they can get in the newspaper!

I pressed enter and leaned back in my chair. It's been days since the incident with Kyla, and I've been trying to forget it, but Emily wouldn't let me. As far as we know of, no one has seen Kyla anywhere. We tried to ask her mom one day, but she wasn't home. Neither was her father. Even her brother Adam was gone. And to this day, they still are.

Whitney told me in her last email that some of the high schoolers had asked her to come to their prom. She thinks they want to be her friends since they've been going out to the mall together, getting coffee together, and painting each others nails at sleepovers. It's clear why they are doing this after years of not acknowledging her. They either want her for them to be in the school newspaper, or they want her to be their next popular girl when she goes into 9th grade after Summer. She was pretty and I wouldn't doubt they'd choose her.

From:WhitneyLovesYou@hotmail.com

To:MackLovesPizza@hotmail.com

Maybe you're just jealous they chose me and not you!!! You probably hate it that I've become the main person now that you've left millions of miles away never to return!!! You don't like that I took your place in the newspaper, that I've become the teachers pet, that seniors chose me and not you. And you're not going to like it when I start talking to that guy that comes to your special tree everyday and sits there for hours staring off into space. You won't like it when I take over your tree, because that tree means a lot to you, and I know it.

I began to get mad. They've changed her already. My best friend, changed into a rotten popular girl. I was once friends with a girl who was popular, and she was nice, until someone rotten took over her and she left me. It's happening all over again, and I don't like it. I began to soften within the last sentences.. She knew that tree was planted by my family. My grandpa who had died in the war. He said it would become special one day, and it did. She's going to take over my tree, MY tree. Hatred began to boil in me, and an evil plan sprouted in my brain.