Chapter 9

1st Person POV

"[S Surname]-san..?"

I remember my past.

A young [Hair colour] girl trained as an assassin by her own will ever since she could remember. Chief Taneda said I was about 7 when I decided that assassination was the road and path I decided to take. I was the youngest assassin the government had decided to train and employ under their ranks. He said I was 1 of a kind, a rare child that had been able to understand assassin from the basics to their advance teaching of different teachers they had.

"You are unique, you are a weapon and most importantly, you are my child."

Chief Taneda often said that. When I was younger, I really didn't understand why he said those words. Unique. Weapon. Child. All I see myself was a murderer in a form of a child. What the government believed in justice was just 1 side of the coin—to another side, it would be injustice. Good and evil, 2 sides of the coin had another meaning.

"It's not right to kill, you still have a chance to grow up as a child—as a woman. Yet once you decide that being an assassin and lusting for revenge is more important, you'll fail as a human. So do you still want to, even knowing the consequences?"

Yes...

Yes...

Yes...

Yes...

"[S Surname]-san..?"

Yes...

Yes...

Yes...!

"Yes."

With that, I began my training. How to lie. How to fake your face. How to see through a person. How to pretend. Everything. I learned to memorize well, storing essays and stocking images into my brain, consuming my memories that I never had. Family? Never met them before. Friends? Never went to school.

"[S Surname]-san..?"

I had no one except myself. I was alone.

It never did occur to me that potentially I did have some people in my life.

Chief Taneda. But when I was younger, all I did was obey the Chief like a employee to their employer. Only business. He was a kind man. A person I didn't deserve. He bought me things I never seen before. Rented me a small apartment room to live in. He tried to teach me new things- things that didn't have to be related to assassination. Things that related to being a girl, school, friends, toys, games, and many life lessons. However most of the things flew over my head except for 1. Video games. I had a fascination for those games where I could reforged 1 of my guns to a small handheld console and insert a disk to play some kind of 8-bit game. It was enjoyable. I remember begging the man once when I saw a new game released with new graphics and genre I had never tried. That was 1 of the few good memories I had made in the government. He was like a father to me.

And the 1 who found me. Natsume-sensei. The man who said he found me on an Jeju island and taught me who to write and speak Japanese. He shared stories of his journey and future wishes. My favourite story was the 1 he called Kokoro. Supposedly it meant "heart; mind; mentality; emotions; feelings" in English, but most "heart/feelings". He got me a job at the government. He was by my side. He gave me his gun. An older model of some kind of pistol that had stop producing. He was like a teacher to me.

Without them, I wouldn't be the person I am today. I'm glad I met Natsume-sensei and decided that joining the government was a good idea. Meeting Chief was another important day of my life. I wonder how the 2 are doing.

"[S Surname]-san..?" [S Surname]-san..?

My head shot up. I could feel the fatigue draining my energy from me from my body. It wasn't out of the ordinary because I still haven't adjusted to sleeping in a building where I could be killed any second.

"Did you sleep well?"

My face paled. So I feel asleep on him...? I turn to the boy still a little dazed from sleeping. A red smudge lay across his cheeks to the tips of his ears. He averted his attention away from me to what's in front of him. A door.

"Yes, surprisingly"

I forced myself to sit up straight. I subconsciously rubbed my eyes, feeling my face burned in embarrassment. There was supposed to be anything wrong with the situation. Sleeping? People sleep, nothing to be embarrassed of. But why can't I laugh it off?

"That's great, now lets go. Our stop is next. Then you can pay for my hospital bills if my arm is broken because you slept like a rock."

I deadpanned. Is he for real? "Seriously?"

"Seriously."