Who Was That?

Kaname decided on a black-colored gym ensemble for work the next day. After putting on his trainers, he tied his hair into a neat bun and then spritzed on some perfume. When he saw the reflection of my frowning face on the vanity mirror, his hands that were about to replace the cap of his perfume paused midair.

"What's wrong?" he turned and motioned for me to sit on his lap.

"Nothing," I lied as I sat on his lap.

"Hina," he cupped my face. "You know I can tell when you're lying, right?"

"Don't mind me, I'm just being ridiculous," I lowered my eyes to avoid his probing ones.

"I still want you to tell me..."

"It's really nothing."

"You're really not going tell?" there was a hint of warning in his question.

"Fine, but don't laugh at me," I murmured as I pretended to busy myself with looking at my ring.

"I'm all ears."

I was silent for a good few seconds as I racked my brain for a way to say what I was feeling without sounding like an insecure teenager. Finally, I spoke, "I was thinking that you were right. You will definitely catch the attention of many women in your workplace."

"Ha?"

I looked up to see that he looked totally caught off guard by what I just said. I would've giggled if I just didn't feel so... I couldn't even describe how I was feeling.

"Hina, what are you talking about? Didn't we already talk about this?"

"Yes, we did."

"So why are you sounding so unsure right now? Didn't you say I was fooled by that program into thinking that way?"

"Seeing how perfect you look this morning reminded me that you're too handsome and I'm afraid you might get snatched away, okay!" I said quickly, my eyes screwed shut. I was cursing myself in my head, what the hell was wrong with me?

"My beloved, do you think I'll let them?" his deep voice sounded extra melodious due to the indulgent love and hint of amusement coloring it.

I looked up and met his sparkling odd eyes. "No."

"And why is that? Come on, I want to know," he prompted.

"Because you love me and only me..." I heard myself say.

"And?"

"And?" I repeated confusedly. "So there's more?"

"And because I only belong to you and vice versa," his warm hands pulled my face closer to his. When I felt his lips touch my forehead, I curiously felt at ease once more.

"I don't know what came into me," I sighed, a bit disappointed with myself.

"You know, I felt the same exact way when I first saw you leave for your job," he confessed.

"You did?"

"Yes. You always look lovely in my eyes but you have a different and more powerful air of confidence when you slip into your work clothes. It always elicits a strong desire within me to lock you up and keep you to myself."

"Anata," I looked at him with a look that clearly said that I don't believe him.

"Confident and capable Hinata is one of my favorites," Kaname smiled at me. "I'm so proud to be able to have someone so amazing as my wife."

"You and your honeyed tongue!" I pinched his cheek.

"It's true. Seeing it for myself made me understand all those things you told me when we first met. Women are indeed more independent now," he said seriously. "I find that very appealing, to be honest. A woman who can take good care and provide for herself is more attractive than the typical soft and gentle flowers borne into nobility."

"I wanted to say that's why you fell for me but I remembered that that isn't the case," I got up and smoothed my skirt before adding with a smirk, "You fell in love with this beautiful face and rocking body."

He laughed heartily. "I'm not going to deny that," he crossed his long legs, leaned forward, and rested his chin on one hand before giving me a long appreciative look from head to toe. "Your beauty connects to my honorable other self on a whole different level."

"I know," I said airily as I flipped my hair. "As evidenced by your energy and stamina every night."

He stood up and kissed me on the forehead once more. "Were you really feeling insecure?" he teased. "Or did you just want to hear me praise you?"

"Hmph!" I extricated myself from his embrace and elbowed him. "I am not so full of myself like a certain someone in this room."

Laughing like he heard the funniest joke in the world, Kaname followed me out of our bedroom carrying his gym bag.

~~~

It was already a quarter past six when I reached Kaname's workplace to pick him up. Although it was only a few blocks from mine, the heavy traffic caused by the rush hour made what was supposed to be a five minute drive eight times longer.

Parking was situated just in front of the gym's entrance and I was lucky to find the very first space in the front vacant. Once parked, I took my phone out to call Kaname and inform him that I have arrived.

A honking sound made me look up and the thumb that was about to press two on my phone's keypad to speed dial his number paused. Kaname was walking out of the single storey building with a tall woman. Her height, svelte figure, and pixie haircut made her look like a high fashion model. She was wearing a black sports bra underneath her unzipped zebra print jacket, the black spandex bottoms she had on made her long legs appear longer. I watched her thank him as he pulled the glass door open for her, Kaname said something in response that made her laugh, affording me a glimpse of her two dimples.

I felt myself transform into the green-eyed monster when she leaned forward to whisper something in his ear, his eyes widened before he shook his head in laughter. If I was holding a pencil at the time, I swear I would've already broken it in half. I took a deep, calming breath, pressed two then the loud speaker. I watched Kaname immediately take his phone out of his joggers' pocket. He signaled the girl that he had to answer a call and swiped the screen right. After five rings, my call got connected.

"Hina, I'm already outside," he said cheerfully. "Where are you?"

"I just parked the car, I got lucky and was able to take the first slot," I answered, matching his cheerfulness.

"Really?" he scanned the parking lot and smiled toothily when he spotted me. "I see you, wait for me there."

"I can drive over—"

"No need, I'll go to where you are," he said before ending the call.

Before he jogged towards me, he said something to the woman and gave her a wave. The woman nodded with a smile and watched him make his way towards our car with a curious expression.

"Who was that?" I asked Kaname as soon as the passenger door opened.