One For The Books

"The fifteenth floor?" I repeated dumbly. "I don't understand..."

Jane's confused expression never faltered. She clicked her mouse and typed on her computer some more. Suddenly, her confusion turned into fright. She gulped before excusing herself to go to their office at the back. A few minutes later, she came back with a man in his late forties.

"Mrs. Kirishima?" the man approached me with a warm albeit somewhat forced smile.

"Yes?" I asked, still not understanding what was happening. Honeymoon suite? Did Jane give me the wrong information?

"Hello, I am David, the Guest and Reservations Manager of Hibiscus Suites and Spa." He extended his hand for a shake, I took it and waited for him to say more. "My staff here told me that you were... Unaware of the room update."

"Yes, I am completely unaware," I nodded my head. "Who asked for the update? How did it happen?"

"That... Well... Mr. Kirishima asked for an update last night," David answered me with a combination of alarm and guilt. "He didn't inform you?"

"He didn't..." I replied.

He sighed before glaring at Jane who in turn lowered her head as though she was just reprimanded.

As I watched her wring her fingers nervously, I suddenly felt uncomfortable so I asked, "So my key card is now assigned to room 1508?"

"Yes, ma'am," Jane answered. "If you like, I can personally assist you to locate it."

"There's no need, I can do that myself—"

"Ah, but we insist!" David said. "However, please allow me to check the room first. We... We might have recorded the wrong data in our system."

I gave him a look but let Jane pull a chair for me to sit on. She then proceeded to offer me snacks and drinks as though she was making up for something while David spoke to someone on his phone in hushed but urgent tones. When he caught me observing him, he gave me a nervous smile before going back to his office.

I was already waiting for almost half an hour when I finally couldn't take it anymore. Jane had never left my side once and I was willing to bet that were I to excuse myself to go to the ladies' room she'd follow me there.

"Is everything confirmed now? I'd like to rest in my room," I asked with a hint of impatience.

As I waited, another staff manned the desk as Jane was watching me like a hawk. I breathed a sigh of relief when David finally emerged from his office. I frowned when I noticed how flustered he looked.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes, yes, everything is fine, Mrs. Kirishima," he wiped the sweat on his forehead with a handkerchief. "Please, allow me to escort you to your room."

"I don't see a need for that now that it's been confirmed that we've moved to room 1508."

"No, please allow me!"

David helped me up and led me to the elevator. As soon as we got in, he took a key from his slacks' pocket, inserted it in the keyhole on the lift's keypad, and pressed the button hidden inside the small safe-like cabinet. I realized that it was a button that lets you pass the floors where other people were waiting to board. This meant that the only floor the lift was going to go and open to was the one David chose. Once that special button was pushed, the elevator's built-in system would ignore all other requests until it's reached the floor we were headed to, as evidenced by the numbers that popped up but immediately disappeared on the digital indicator. Needless to say, it didn't take long for David and I to reach the fifteenth floor.