Death in Space

Shadow hold's Boom Sonic's shoulders and begs, "Sonic, we have Chaos Emeralds, you have to still be alive!"

Mortified, Modern Sonic holds his own cheeks and says, "Gotta give me the Chaos Emeralds!"

Modern Sonic hurriedly gathers up all the emeralds and places them around Boom Sonic and Shadow. The emeralds ascend and hover, slowly orbiting around the two, creating a blue hue, as if Boom and Shadow are under water. Shadow feels his rage transforming into deep emptiness. Boom Sonic becomes transparent and opens his eyes. Shadow slumps a few inches, his hands no longer holding Sonic's shoulders but instead, his palms press against the asphalt. Tails and the rest of the team land nearby and rush to them.

"Oh no," Amy exclaims, "the other Sonic's fading away!"

Boom Sonic weakly lifts his hand and gazes right through it.

"Are these the stars or the beach?" he asks. "Why does it smell like the ocean?"

"The ocean?" asks Rouge.

Boom continues with, "is that my shack?"

"I think I know what's happening," Knuckles says somberly.

"What is it, Knuckles?" Amy asks, trying not to cry.

Knuckles explains.

"Remember? This happened to Tikal when she returned to her world. She faded in and out as a little light, sent here to help us. Then when it was time, she ascended away."

"No, that's not happening," Shadow vainly argues with the circumstances.

Though saddened to have clearly died in this world, Boom tries to reassure Shadow.

"It's okay, Shadow, this is a good thing. I'm fading back into my world. I can already feel the sand on my quills. I can already taste the Meh Burgers. They're... not as good as your chili dogs."

Shadow privately whispers, "Don't leave. I need you here with me.  You're my friend, remember?"

"Sorry Bestie, I don't... think I can control this," Boom Sonic tells him.

Shadow's eyes gloss over.

"I need you.  We're both aliens... if you leave, I'll be all alone."

Boom Sonic frowns, wishing not to powerlessly abandon Shadow, who is obviously quite grief-stricken and perhaps, underneath it all, quite profoundly lonely.

He says heavy heartedly, "I'm sorry to leave you. Be brave, Valor Shadow."

And with that, Rugged Sonic closes his eyes and fades away completely. The Chaos Emeralds plop onto the asphalt. The blue hue dissipates into space. Everyone is quiet, unsure what to do or say. Though no one notices, Modern Sonic seems to be shivering quite a bit. Shadow frantically feels around, all over on the asphalt, trying to find Boom Sonic's body.

"Wait Sonic, you can't just disappear! Sonic?"

He pauses, then holds his hand over his heart, in terrible pain.

Rouge reaches for him, longingly...

"Oh Shadow..."

Brokenhearted, and without making eye contact, he ominously tells everyone...

"Me being here in this world was a mistake."

He takes off skating along the space highway, hoping to go as far away from everyone as possible. Modern Sonic darts after him.

"Shadow, wait!"

A good distance away from all their friends, Modern Sonic cleverly Chaos Controls in front of Shadow, blocking his path. Always trying to be charming, optimistic, happy, he says...

"Hey Shadow, didya see that? I did another Time Stop! Talk about old school!"

Shadow is so impressed with Sonic doing Chaos Control that he stops in his tracks.

"You... did actually. That was... amazing, Sonic."

"Right?! Hey, listen, it's... it's okay, Shadow. I'm still here, I'm not gonna leave you all alone in space again."

Shadow folds his arms and sighs.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Sonic insists.

"Years ago, when you died. Or... when that other you died. I wasn't fast enough to save you. You perished in the abyss, all alone."

Shadow reminds him.

"It's not your fault, Sonic. It was what Maria wanted."

Sonic also reminds Shadow.

"No, she didn't want you to die. She wanted you to be happy."

Shadow lowers his head.

"I was happy with that Rugged version of you, but now, you're, er, I mean, now, now he's gone."

Sonic's shakes his head frantically.

"No no no no, I'm right here and so are you!"

Shadow closes his eyes.

"As far as I know, my fall from the ARK didn't make the Sonic in my world this upset, nor did he blame himself for it."

"It broke my heart!" Sonic admits.

"Faker, we barely knew each other back then."

"No Shadow, we saved the world together! There's still so much to be done. I know living in a dystopia won't make you happy but maybe knowing you're not alone, maybe that will?  I've never told anyone this, but it gets so lonely sometimes. It's alienating, having all this speed. There's never been another like you. I know this isn't your world but don't you fade away too, please?!""

Sonic's shoes and contemplates... Sonic watching Shadow die... Sonic failing to save the world from Black Doom... Sonic living under an Eggman regime... Sonic watching Sonic fade away...

Shadow holds his hand over his heart again, hurt for the death of his friend's happiness.

"I'm sorry.  Waking up here in this world wasn't an accident after all. It's not a mistake. Don't cry, Sonic. It'll be okay... I'll stay... I promise."

The End. 

Next story in the series: Fickle Hedgehog Village.