CHAPTER 8: THE GIRLFRIEND AND JEALOUSY

QUENTIN BECK
Present

I waited in front of the place that Shadow gave me the address of, which was some random abandoned building. It was filthy and run down, the cobwebs surrounding the walls only reminded me of Peter even more.

I agreed to help Shadow. By help, I mean "help". I needed to know what his intentions were so I could protect Peter. I would lay down my life for him, and that's what I was planning to do.

I jumped a little when I heard the sound of tree branches snapping on the ground. I came face to face with a bald man, sporting thick eyebrows and an evil glint in his eye that gleamed with revenge.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He rumbled and reached out his hand to shake mine. I glanced at it wearily before deciding I had to stay on his good side in order to figure out what he was plotting.

"I could say the same to you." I replied.

The door of the building creaked open and dust flew freely through the air as he guided me in with him. Spiders crawled over the walls and I cursed myself for constantly being reminded of Peter by just the simplest of things.

"Have a seat." He motioned toward a dining room table and I reluctantly pulled out a chair and sat down. It let out a puff of air and felt still underneath me. Shadow sat across from me and smirked.

"I know that you and Spiderman got quite close before he found out about your plans." He pointed out and I nodded, "Must I say, tricking him was a very smart idea on your part. Getting into his mind is one thing, but getting into his heart is even better."

Yeah. We get it. I suck.

I tried to keep on my nonchalant facade, "I figured it would be more effective." I lied.

Falling in love with him was never a plan. It was just inevitable.

"I take it after spending so much time together that you know all about what gets to him."

I cautiously agreed, "I know my fair share."

Shadow began to rub his hands together menacingly, "I've already gotten through half my plan." He told me.

"What do you have so far?" I asked carefully, making sure to keep myself guarded.

"I've been sending notes to his girlfriend." He grinned.

Girlfriend?

"He has a girlfriend?" I choked out.

He nodded, "I thought it was weird as well. I know you were acting, but he's gay for sure." I adjusted the collar on my neck nervously.

He really got over me that quickly? Did he even like me half as much as I liked him? How could he possibly-

"And," He continued mischievously, "I kidnapped her."

I suppressed the protests that were begging to come from my mouth. Protests telling him how inhumane that was- especially for a girl that's just a kid! If it was Peter himself, I would've punched Shadow right on the spot. But since it was his girlfriend I wasn't as mad. Still profusely repulsed, but not nearly as enraged. Plus, I needed to know all of the details before I confronted him then and there.

"Where are you keeping her?" I questioned as my leg began to bounce nervously under the table.

"She's right upstairs." He smirked, "Wanna see?"

My nails tug crescent moons into the palm of my hands, "Tell me the rest of your plan first." I told him, "So I can make it better." I added to make the statement sound more convincing.