CHAPTER 12: LET ME BE AN IDIOT A FEW MORE MINUTES

Dedicated to pinkpipedream

QUENTIN BECK
Present

Peter crossed his arms and glared at me. "I'm still mad at you, but I need to take down this crazy Shadow first, and I need your help."

I gazed down at him fondly, ignoring the aching pain in my nuts from his knee me when I tried to kiss him. I agreed. I would do anything to make it up to him.

"So," he fumbled around with his hands awkwardly, "my plan got ruined so I'm not sure what to do now."

"MJ is upstairs and I already told her what's going on. I'll make sure Shadow doesn't go upstairs and you can get her out."

He twiddled his thumbs together. "What happens if he figures out what's going on?" He paused, "I don't know if I can even trust you."

I exhaled and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Peter, I swear on my life that I will never intentionally hurt you again. I know you don't want to and I don't even deserve it but right now we have to work together."

He didn't look fully convinced but still nodded anyway. "Okay," whispered in a voice so small I could barely even hear it. "I'll trust you, but only for today."

I grinned down at him and silently rejoiced at the slight progress I was making.

Once we're out of here I can finally explain everything.

He shot a web onto the ceiling and started to slowly crawl toward the flight of stairs while being as quiet as possible. I couldn't help but stare at his behind as he skillfully climbed up. I bit my lip and tried to calm down my buzzing mind. Not that Peter and I ever went that far, but I still couldn't find myself being even remotely attracted to anyone ever since I met him. So I hadn't gotten any in a while.

I shook my head away from my sinful thoughts. I shouldn't be allowed to think about things like that and especially now right now of all times.

Once he was out of my sight I began to feel uneasy. I knew he could handle himself but I always found myself worrying about him fretting about his well-being. Even if it wasn't on the rational side of things.

Yet this particular feeling in my gut was different than the usual concerned one. This one made me feel like bile would come rushing out of my throat any second and my suspicions were proved to be true when I heard a troubling scream from upstairs.

Peter.

Shadow was upstairs- why hadn't we thought of that in the first place?!

I darted up the stairs as fast as possible, faster than I'd ever ran in my entire life. I slammed the door where MJ was open and found her on the floor. The chair had been pushed down so that her face was pushing against the ground, hands still tied behind her back and legs bound to the chair. The side of her head had a hint of blood trickling down it but I barely even noticed.

I frantically looked everywhere else around the room. "Where's Peter?" I panted. She didn't respond and I yanked up chair harshly. In my panic I ended up accidentally slamming the chair onto the ground, just on the opposite side, knocking her unconscious instantly.

"Shit, shit, shit!" I shouted. I ran out of the room and my eyes practically bulged out of my head with how quickly I was looking around.

I heard a loud bang accompanied by a scared yelp ring out into the air. I flew toward where the sound was coming from.

They're on the roof- how did they manage to do that?

I heard another crash and a groan of pain from Peter and I grabbed a chair next to the window and smashed the glass to get out. Not sure why I didn't just open it.