Chapter 2: Jacob

"Man, my head." The Emolga groaned as he stood up.

"Do it again! Do it again!" Glair cheered.

"Glair!" I hissed at her and gestured to Pixie. I brought a paw to my mouth, Glair understood and started dancing whilst quietly chanting; "Do it again. Do it again."

Tertle approached the Emolga slowly and helped him up. "That was impressive. You okay?"

"Uh, yeah, thanks," Emolga replied. He was male by voice.

"Can you guys please keep it down? I've got a sleeping Vulpix here," I said starting to get annoyed.

"Aw, isn't that just precious. Would you like some privacy Casanova?" Emolga said mockingly.

"Why you little..." I drifted off; muttering some choice language under my breath.

"Woah, chill, Mr. Flirt," he said smugly.

"If my adorable girlfriend wasn't holding me back I would come over there and smack that smug look from your face," I threatened with a deep growl. This guy was starting to tick me off.

He laughed and shook his head. "The name's Ace."

I choked at that. "Ace? Are you kidding me?"

"No pal. You see, I'm number one," he said holding up a single finger.

I laughed at him. "Sure, whatever you say, Ace."

He looked confused by my emphasis, but Glair explained. "The Eevee there is named Jacob, he's laughing because he used to be Ace too."

"What?" Ace asked, genuinely confused.

"He used to be number one, but now he's not." Glair answered happily.

Ace threw his head back and chortled, he shook his head at me with a mocking smile. "Don't feel too bad, I've never met anyone who can compete with me."

My brows raised, and I gave the guy a sceptical look. He was holding his cape-like skin in front of his face and was flexing his tiny arms. It was honestly pitiful how pathetic and stupid this guy was. A slow grin spread across my face as I got an idea.

"Never met someone who can compete with you... until now."

Ace glared at me. "You? Yeah right," he scoffed.

"Not me, her," I said gesturing at Glair. "Glair's pretty awesome. She'd give you a run for your money."

Glair giggled and stepped forward, before Ace could do anything she ran a pincer under his throat and winked at him slyly. "Okay, game on, but don't think I'll go easy on you because you're cute."

That was not what I was expecting, but it was terrifying: Ace was actually shaking a little. He gulped and stepped back before looking at me.

"Fine then. I'll travel with you guys for a little while, but just until we prove who's better; me or the Gligar," Ace stated decisively.

"Uh, actually, you two can have your competition now. You don't need to come with us," I replied nervously. This guy was super annoying, and I did not want him along, but he was adamant.

"Please, don't beg me, and don't thank me either. I'm only coming with you to spread my fame across Ardua, and to show that I am number one."

I groaned at his answer. "Fine. That's Glair, that's Tertle, I'm Jacob and this is my mate Pixie."

"Alright, settle down lover boy."

I growled at him. "We're not going to get along."

"That's because I am awesome, and you... are not."

I rolled my eyes. "When Pixie wakes up we're going, everyone get some rest."

I lay down next to Pixie and watched as Tertle, Ace and Glair sat together and began a quiet conversation. I didn't realise how tired I was until I let out a loud yawn and closed my eyes. I was almost asleep when I felt something hit me in the side. The blow was so gentle I wasn't sure if I'd really felt it, but there it was again. If it was that ruddy Emolga I swear I'm gonna, wait... nope, not him. He's still with Glair and Tertle. Then what?

I felt it again. It was coming from Pixie. I looked at the Vixen curiously, she was sound asleep. Her breathing was slightly laboured, and she kept squirming, as if she wasn't comfortable. She's been weird lately, what could be wrong with her?

Wait, no, it couldn't be... I chuckled quietly and lay back down. I wasn't certain, but if I was right then she would tell me when she was ready, and until then, I would wait. I licked her head and slept.